Liberty Closes Out Clemson Hidden Duals With 5 Wins
The Liberty men’s tennis team was victorious in five total matches on Sunday at the Clemson Hidden Duals to close out the weekend.
Liberty’s five victories included a 3-1 doubles mark as well as three total singles triumphs. In three days of competition at the Duckworth Family Tennis Facility, the Flames posted an 8-3 mark in doubles and 13-11 record in singles competition.
Key Stats & Notes
• Liberty won at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles versus Clemson. The Flames duo of Christiaan Worst and Deji Thomas-Smith improved to 3-0 on the weekend with a 6-4 victory against Spencer Whitaker and Ryuhei Azuma. In the No. 2 slot, the Flames’ Josh Wilson and Rafael Marques Da Silva topped the Tigers’ Matt Pitts and Teodor Giusca 6-3.
• Liberty’s Omar El Kadi teamed up with Mississippi State’s Seth Richey to defeat Mac Rogers and Vikash Singh of Indiana by a 6-3 count.
• Liberty’s three singles wins came from Josh Wilson and Goncalo Ferreira. A day after earning a ranked win, Wilson (3-0 singles this weekend) defeated Clemson’s Azuma in straight sets, 6-0, 6-4.
• Ferreira claimed two victories on Sunday. His first win was in straight sets (6-2, 6-4) over Indiana’s Nishanth Basavareddy. He then went on to defeat Clemson’s Tim Pitts 6-4, 6-0.
• Friday record: 3-1 doubles, 5-3 singles
• Saturday record: 2-1 doubles, 5-3 singles
• Sunday record: 3-1 doubles, 2-5 singles
The Flames will host the ITA Atlantic South Regional, Thursday through Sunday at the Liberty Tennis Complex.