Liberty Belts a Season-High 6 Home Runs to Roll Past FGCU Saturday
The Liberty Flames hit a season-high six home runs and collected season-highs for hits and runs, drubbing the FGCU Eagles 23-3, Saturday afternoon at Swanson Stadium.
Third baseman Cameron Foster hit two home runs, while catcher Gray Betts, designated hitter Brady Gulakowski, first baseman Logan Mathieu and Three Hillier also homered for the Flames.
Liberty pounded out a season-high 26 hits in the contest. Six Flames had three or more hits in the contest, led by Betts who had a career-high five and scored four times. Hillier and Foster added four hits apiece, career-highs for both. Hillier also had a game-high and career-high seven RBI, while Foster drove in a career-high five runs.
Flames left-hander Joe Adametz allowed two runs on five hits over six innings. He struck out a career-high eight.
The Flames move to 31-18 overall and 17-9 in ASUN Conference play. FGCU drops to 31-19 and 15-11 in the ASUN.
Box Score Highlights
Records: Liberty (31-18, 17-9 ASUN); FGCU (31-19, 15-11 ASUN)
Location: Fort Myers, Fla. (Swanson Stadium)
WP: Joe Adametz III (6-2) | LP: Tyler Shuck (5-5)
1st INNING – LIBERTY – Hillier singles, Anderson and Betts score, 2-0
1st INNING – LIBERTY – Mathieu singles, Hillier scores, 3-0
1st INNING – LIBERTY – Gulakowski homers, Hill and Mathieu score, 6-0
1st INNING – FGCU – Figueredo homers, 6-1
1st INNING – FGCU – Kinker homers, 6-2
2nd INNING – LIBERTY – Hillier grounds out, Betts scores, 7-2
3rd INNING – LIBERTY – Mathieu homers, 8-2
3rd INNING – LIBERTY – Foster homers, 9-2
5th INNING – LIBERTY – Betts doubles, Keeter scores, 10-2
6th INNING – LIBERTY – Foster homers, 11-2
7th INNING – LIBERTY – Orndorff singles, Betts scores, 12-2
7th INNING – LIBERTY – Mathieu doubles, Orndorff and Anderson score, 14-2
7th INNING – LIBERTY – Foster singles, Mathieu scores, 15-2
8th INNING – LIBERTY – Betts homers, 16-2
8th INNING – LIBERTY – Orndorff scores on a passed ball, 17-2
8th INNING – LIBERTY – Foster singles, Lazzaro and Hillier score, 19-2
8th INNING – FGCU – Kole singles, Townsend score (unearned), 19-3
9th INNING – LIBERTY – Orndorff singes, McNeal scores, 20-3
9th INNING – LIBERTY – Hillier homers, Orndorff and Anderson score, 23-3
– Liberty outhit FGCU, 26-7. Each team committed one error.
– Liberty left 11 men on base. FGCU left 12.
– Eight of the nine hitters in the Flames’ lineup had at least one hit in the game.
– Gulakowski, Mathieu and Aaron Anderson had three hits apiece for the Flames.
– FGCU starting pitcher Tyler Shuck took the loss. Liberty roughed up the right-hander for nine runs on 11 hits over the first three innings.
Beyond the Box Score
– With the victory, Liberty knots the three-game series between the two teams at 1-1. FGCU took the first game of the series 8-7, Friday.
– The Flames clinch a spot in the 2022 ASUN Tournament with their victory.
– Liberty had played three consecutive one-run games until today’s game.
– The Flames’ 26 hits eclipse their previous season-high of 20 in a 22-4 win over North Florida at Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium on April 22.
– Liberty sets a season-high for home runs with six. Previously, the Flames hit four home runs in their victory over North Florida on April 22.
– The last time Liberty hit six home runs in a game was in a 19-6 win at Worthington Stadium in Lynchburg on March 18, 2009.
Liberty and FGCU will square off in the series finale at Swanson Stadium tomorrow. First pitch is scheduled for Noon.