Lady Flames Wrap Up Weekend Sweep, Win 3-0 at Queens
Liberty posted its second straight 3-0 sweep over ASUN newcomer Queens, defeating the Royals in three sets (25-21, 25-19, 25-21), Sunday at Curry Arena.
The Lady Flames (9-5) have opened ASUN play at 2-0 with three-set sweeps over Queens Friday in Lynchburg and today in Charlotte. Meanwhile, Queens (5-10) remains in search of its first ASUN win at 0-2 in conference play.
• Liberty outhit Queens .233-.071 for the match. The Lady Flames also led in kills (47-27) and digs (56-42). Queens led 3-2 in aces and 10-9 in blocks.
• Kate Phillips and Trinity Watts tied for the match lead with 12 kills. Phillips hit .458 and added 19 digs for her 10th career double-double and fourth this season. Watts tied with Madison Blane for the team lead with five blocks. Delaney Dilfer dished out a match-high 36 assists to go along with 11 digs and two aces for her team-leading sixth double-double of the season. Kamryn Bacus scored 10 kills, while Erica Lowery collected a match-high 14 digs.
• Alleigh Johnson scored a team-high 10 kills and added four blocks, while Kayla McDuffie posted a match-high eight blocks for the Royals. Jessica George collected 13 digs and served up two aces.
• Queens burst out of the gates in the first set, leading 16-9 before the Lady Flames came storming back, ending the set on a 16-5 run. That late Liberty rally proved to be too much for the Royals, as the Lady Flames rolled to victory in sets two and three.
• Liberty has opened ASUN play at 2-0 in three out of the last four seasons.
• Liberty is one of four ASUN teams to open conference play at 2-0 this season, joining Jacksonville State, Kennesaw State and Lipscomb.
• Today was Liberty’s first regular-season match in the state of North Carolina since joining the ASUN in 2018. This is the first season since 2003 that Liberty has no players on its roster from North Carolina.
• The Lady Flames have posted three 3-0 sweeps in a row, beginning Sept. 17 against Eastern Michigan. Prior to this stretch, the last time Liberty recorded three straight sweeps was March 13-20, 2021.
• The Lady Flames came back from a 16-9 deficit to win set one, 25-21. That is the Lady Flames’ largest deficit overcome in a win this season. Before today, Liberty’s largest deficit overcome was six points, 14-8 in the third set against Winthrop on Sept. 2, a set Liberty won 25-22.
• Liberty hit .515 (19-2-33) as a team during the second set, its best attack percentage in a single set since hitting .545 (13-1-22) against Radford in set two, Sept. 16.
The Lady Flames host fellow ASUN leaders Kennesaw State and Jacksonville State on Friday and Saturday, respectively, at Liberty Arena. Both matches are set for 6 p.m. first serves.