Lady Flames Sweep Dolphins
Liberty earned its first ASUN East Division sweep of the season, claiming a 3-0 (25-20, 26-24, 25-20) victory over Jacksonville, Friday at Historic Swisher Gymnasium.
The Lady Flames (10-12, 6-9 ASUN) snap a three-match winless streak, sweeping the season series from the Dolphins. Jacksonville’s losing streak extends to 12 matches.
• Liberty outhit Jacksonville for the match, .204-.143, although the Dolphins held a 40-37 edge in kills. The Lady Flames led in digs (52-43) and blocks (9-7), while both teams served up six aces.
• Lydia Burts scored 10 kills at a .500 pace and added four blocks, while Lilly Kruse totaled 10 kills, two aces and eight digs. Amaya Williams (17 assists, 11 digs) posted her team-high-tying sixth double-double of the season. Trinity Watts posted a match-high five blocks, while Rajini Fitzmaurice collected 12 digs and Lindsey Hardesty collared 11 digs.
• Jacksonville’s Autumn DeSantis led all players with 11 kills, while Camryn Honn dished out a match-high 20 assists. Keyauna Linwood and Isa Dostal posted four blocks each, while Kariana Ayers tied for the match lead with 12 digs.
• Liberty led set one from 2-1 until the end of the set, outhitting the Dolphins .393-.158 during a 25-20 win.
• JU earned a set-point try in the middle session when Jenna McNamara’s kill made it 24-23. The Dolphins’ next serve went into the net. Fitzmaurice and Burts then teamed up for a block, and then Fitzmaurice sent down the winning kill, 26-24.
• The Lady Flames pulled away late in set three, scoring the final four points of the match to win, 25-20.
• Liberty is now 7-1 all-time against Jacksonville in volleyball, including 6-0 since the Lady Flames joined the ASUN in 2018.
• Williams posted her 20th career double-double tonight. She is the 12th Lady Flame in the rally-scoring era to post 20 or more career double-doubles, and first since former teammate Anna Willey recorded her 20th career double-double in 2016.
• The Lady Flames are 10-4 in sets decided by two points this season, including 8-2 in two-point sets in conference play. Liberty is 5-2 in extended sets this fall.
• Liberty is now 7-1 this season when winning the first set in a match.
• Lydia Burts and Lilly Kruse have now posted 10 kills in back-to-back matches for the second time in their respective careers. Burts’ first time with consecutive 10-kill matches was March 19-20, 2021, while Lilly Kruse had back-to-back double-digit kill contests on Sept. 10, 2021.
The Lady Flames wrap up the regular season tomorrow at 7 p.m., as Liberty will face North Florida at UNF Arena. UNF wrapped up the third seed in the ASUN East Division tonight, while the Lady Flames will be the fifth seed out of the East Division.