Lady Flames Hold Off Owls 3-2
Liberty earned a doubleheader sweep of Kennesaw State, holding off a seventh-inning rally for a 3-2 win in game two, Saturday at Kamphuis Field at Liberty Softball Stadium.
The Lady Flames (27-12) ran their overall winning streak to a season-high 13 games, opening ASUN play with a program-best unbeaten start to conference play at 11-0. Kennesaw State falls to 12-21, 4-7 in ASUN games.
Liberty – 2nd INNING – Wilson flies out to right, Canetto advances, Griffin scores, 1-0
Liberty – 3rd INNING – Hudson singles to right, advances on error, Howard scores, 2-0
Liberty – 6th INNING – Canetto singles to right, Plummer scores, 3-0
KSU – 7th INNING – Bailey homers to right center, Bailey and Cates score, 3-2
– Liberty outhit KSU 6-4, while the Owls committed the game’s lone error. The Lady Flames left four runners on base, while KSU stranded one.
– Kirby (6-3) allowed two runs on four hits, striking out 11 batters for her fourth 10-strikeout game of the season (all in conference play).
– KSU’s Melanie Bennett (9-9) drew the loss, allowing three runs (two earned) on six hits, walking one and striking out three.
– Kara Canetto batted 2-for-3 with a double and one RBI for the Lady Flames, while Mary Claire Wilson hit a sacrifice fly.
– Brinaya Bailey went 2-for-3 with a homer and two RBI for the Owls.
– Liberty scored single runs in both the second and third innings. Kirby had a no-hitter going through four innings before Bailey led off the fifth with a single. A double play ended the inning.
– The Lady Flames manufactured an insurance run in the sixth. Lou Allan led off with a single, and pinch runner Janessa Plummer stole second before Canetto came through with a two-out RBI single.
– Kirby faced the minimum through six and 2/3 innings before Taylor Cates’ two-out double in the seventh. Bailey then narrowed the gap to 3-2 with a two-run homer. Kiera Cooper singled, putting the tying run on base, but Kirby fanned Laura Bishop to end the game.
Beyond the Box Score
– Liberty is now 14-6 all-time against Kennesaw State in softball, winning the last eight meetings in a row since a Kennesaw State doubleheader sweep on April 2, 2021.
– Liberty’s current 13-game overall winning streak is its longest winning streak since winning 17 straight games, April 3 through May 7, 2021.
– Liberty is 23-0 this season when scoring first in a game.
– This was Liberty’s second one-run win of the season, and first since beating Ohio State 3-2 on Feb. 19.
– The Lady Flames have won each of their last 24 ASUN regular-season games, a streak which started April 3, 2021 against Kennesaw State. Liberty is 43-7 all-time in ASUN regular-season games.
– Kirby has posted four 10-strikeout games this season, the most double-digit strikeout games in a single season by a Lady Flame since Julia DiMartino recorded five 10-strikeout games as a freshman in 2016. Kirby has tossed seven career 10-strikeout games.
– Devyn Howard drew a walk, extended her streak of consecutive games reaching base safely to 14 games.
The Lady Flames and Owls wrap up this weekend’s three-game series with a noon game tomorrow at Liberty Softball Stadium.