Lady Flames Fall 5-0 to No. 9 Duke, Will Play in Elimination Game
Liberty fell 5-0 to the host, No. 9 Duke Blue Devils on Saturday in game three of the 2022 NCAA Durham Regional at Duke Softball Stadium.
The Blue Devils (43-8) advance to tomorrow’s Regional final, which is scheduled for 2 p.m. Liberty (44-17) falls to an elimination game tonight. No. 19 Georgia and UMBC are in a delay, and the Lady Flames will play the winner of Georgia-UMBC later tonight, time to be determined.
The winner of this evening’s losers’ bracket final will need to beat Duke twice tomorrow in order to earn a berth in next weekend’s Super Regional round against the winner of the Los Angeles Regional.
Duke – 2nd INNING – Frelick singles to center, Jacobsen advances, Foreman scores, 1-0
Duke – 2nd INNING – Frelick advances to third, Jacobsen scored on error, 2-0
Duke – 3rd INNING – Foreman flies out the right field, sacrifice fly, Davis scores, 3-0
Duke – 4th INNING – Kavel homers to left, 4-0
Duke – 4th INNING – Davis homers to right, 5-0
– Duke outhit Liberty 7-6 for the game, with the Lady Flames committing two errors. Liberty left seven runners on base, while Duke stranded four.
– Liberty was shut out for the first time since a 1-0, eight-inning setback at No. 15 Clemson on March 14.
– Peyton St. George (22-3) tossed her fifth shutout of the season, allowing six hits and one walk while striking out five.
– Emily Kirby (14-6), coming off of a tremendous three-hit, 13-strikeout shutout of No. 19 Georgia yesterday, drew the loss today. Kirby allowed two runs on two hits in one inning, walking one and striking out one. Karlie Keeney yielded three runs on four hits, walking two in three innings. Megan Johnson tossed three innings of one-hit relief with one strikeout.
– Francesca Frelick went 2-for-2 with an RBI, while Caroline Jacobsen batted 2-for-3 with one run scored. Deja Davis (2-for-4, one RBI, two runs) hit her third homer while Jameson Kavel recorded her 17th homer of the season.
– Raigan Barrett batted 2-for-3 for the Lady Flames, while Devyn Howard, Kara Canetto and Lou Allan had one hit apiece.
– Duke scored twice in the top of the second, and Keeney came on and got out of a bases-loaded, nobody-out jam with a 1-2-3 double play.
– The Blue Devils tallied one third-inning run, before back-to-back solo homers from Kavel and Davis made it 5-0 in the fourth.
– Liberty had its best scoring chance in the bottom of the sixth, loading the bases with one out. St. George got Mary Claire Wilson to pop out before striking out Alexis Soto to end the threat and keep the shutout alive.
Beyond the Box Score
– Duke and Liberty are now tied 2-2 all-time in softball. The Lady Flames won the first meeting this year, 8-3 on April 20 at Liberty Softball Stadium.
– Liberty is now 5-9 all-time NCAA Regional appearances. This will be the second year in a row in which Liberty has competed in the losers’ bracket final, as the Lady Flames knocked out the host Tennessee Lady Vols to advance to the Knoxville Regional final.
– The Durham Regional is the toughest in this year’s tournament based on combined winning percentage (.756).
– Liberty is 3-11 against Top 25 opponents this season, tying the 2007 and 2021 Lady Flames for the program’s most wins over nationally-ranked opponents in a single season.
– Canetto needs two more hits to become the 11th player in program history with 200 or more career hits.
– Barrett recorded her third two-hit game of the season.
– Lou Allan reached base safely for the 15th game in a row, while Rachel Roupe’s reached-base streak ended at 19. Caroline Hudson saw her hitting streak end at 10 games.