Lady Flames Down JSU Gamecocks 6-1 in ASUN Home Opener
The Liberty Lady Flames defeated the Jacksonville State Gamecocks 6-1 in their ASUN home opener, Friday at the Liberty Tennis Complex.
Liberty improves to 13-5 overall and 2-1 in the ASUN and stays unbeaten (7-0) at home in 2022. Today’s match was the first-ever meeting between the Lady Flames and Gamecocks.
Liberty 6, Jacksonville State 1
- M. Juliana P. Romero (LIBERTYW) def. Romane Mosse (JSUWT22) 6-1, 6-0
- Eloise Saraty (LIBERTYW) def. Anna Syrova (JSUWT22) 6-1, 3-6, 1-0 (10-5)
- Esther Lovato (LIBERTYW) def. Dariana Prato (JSUWT22) 6-2, 6-2
- Ella Tuomela (JSUWT22) def. Willa Rogers (LIBERTYW) 7-6 (7-2), 7-5
- Tiffany Nguyen (LIBERTYW) def. Zuzana Pavelekova (JSUWT22) 6-1, 6-3
- Micaela Ode Mitre (LIBERTYW) def. Balsen Kaya (JSUWT22) 6-1, 6-1
- M. Juliana P. Romero/Kalani Soli (LIBERTYW) def. Romane Mosse/Zuzana Pavelekova (JSUWT22) 6-2
- Anna Syrova/Ella Tuomela (JSUWT22) def. Willa Rogers/Eloise Saraty (LIBERTYW) 6-4
- Tiffany Nguyen/Micaela Ode Mitre (LIBERTYW) def. Balsen Kaya/Dariana Prato (JSUWT22) 6-2
Liberty 13-5, 2-1 ASUN
Jacksonville State 5-9, 1-2 ASUN
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (1,6,5,3,2,4)
Official: Harrison/Lunsford T-2:34
How It Happened
• Liberty secured the doubles point and claimed victories in all but one singles match. Four of the Lady Flames’ five singles wins were in straight sets.
• The Lady Flames’ No. 1 and No. 3 doubles units were responsible for wrapping up the doubles point. Playing their most competitive match together, Liberty’s Maria Julia Parra Romero and Kalani Soli built up a 4-0 lead on the way to a 6-2 triumph over the Gamecocks’ Romane Mosse and Zuzana Pavelekova.
• Liberty’s Tiffany Nguyen and Micaela Ode Mitre (No. 3 doubles) triumphed 6-2 over Kaya Balsen and Dariana Prato of the Gamecocks. Nguyen and Ode, who were playing together for the first time since Feb. 12, improve to 5-1 in spring competition.
• JSU’s lone win came on court two courtesy of Anna Syrova and Ella Tuomela. The duo topped Willa Rogers and Eloise Saraty of Liberty 6-4.
• Fresh off a doubles win, Parra Romero cruised to a 6-1, 6-0 win over Mosse of the Gamecocks. Ode Mitre stretched the home lead to 3-0 when she topped Kaya 6-1, 6-1 on court six.
• Liberty’s match-clinching fourth point came from Nguyen (No. 5 singles), who bested Pavelekova in straight sets (6-1, 6-3).
• Shortly after Nguyen earned the fourth point of the contest, Esther Lovato of the Lady Flames closed out a 6-2, 6-2 victory against Prato on court three. Lovato improves to 13-2 in spring singles matches and has won 11 straight.
• Liberty’s Saraty, playing in the No. 2 singles position for the second time this spring, prevailed in three sets against Syrova, 6-1, 3-6, 1-0 (10-5). Her victory made it 6-0 Lady Flames.
• JSU’s lone point of the day came from Tuomela at No. 4 singles, 7-6 (2), 7-5
• The Lady Flames improve to 3-0 all-time in ASUN home openers.
• This was Liberty’s second home outdoor match of the season. The Lady Flames downed Longwood 7-0, Feb. 12 in their first home outdoor contest of the spring campaign.
• After starting the season with a 2-3 record, Liberty is 11-2 over its last 13 matches.
• The Lady Flames will be back in action on Sunday at home versus Lipscomb (6-8, 2-1 ASUN). First serve is slated for 11 a.m. at the Liberty Tennis Complex.
• Liberty is 4-0 all-time versus Lipscomb. The Lady Flames topped the Bisons twice in 2021, both by 4-3 scores.