Lady Flames Claim Season-Opening 162-127 Win at UNC Asheville
The Liberty swimming & diving team opened its 2020-21 season with a 162-127 win over UNC Asheville on Friday at the Justice Center Pool.
Liberty (1-0, 1-0 CCSA) topped UNC Asheville (0-1-1, 0-1-1), giving the Lady Flames a victory in their season-opening dual meet for the 10th year in a row.
The two-time defending CCSA champion Lady Flames continued their success in conference dual meets, winning their 22nd CCSA dual meet in a row.
Liberty Event Winners
• 400 medley relay – 3:54.95 (Payton Keiner (57.75), Heather Gardner (1:06.22), Lindsey Cohee (58.03), Emma Hazel (52.95))
• So. Eva Suggs – 200 freestyle (1:56.84); 200 backstroke (2:05.88)
• Jr. Shelby Haines – 100 backstroke (59.46)
• So. Jessica Schellenboom – 100 breaststroke (1:06.43); 200 breaststroke (2:25.33)
• Sr. Lindsey Cohee – 200 butterfly (2:06.92); 100 butterfly (58.51)*
• Sr. Payton Keiner – 50 freestyle (24.81)
• Jr. Emma Hazel – 500 freestyle (5:07.74)*
• Fr. Chloe Harris – 400 IM (4:34.28)*
• Fr. Maddie Freece – One-meter diving list one (6) – 281.80 (tied); One-Meter Diving list two (6) – 259.30
• Jr. Olivia Robinson – One-meter diving list one (6) – 281.80 (tied)
• 200 freestyle relay – 1:38.34 (Payton Keiner (24.90), Sydney Houtz (24.08), Emma Hazel (24.56), Heather Gardner (24.80))*
* – Fastest time in race, swum as exhibition
• Liberty won 14 events, including both relays, while UNC Asheville claimed two event victories.
• Three Liberty swimmers (Lindsey Cohee, Jessica Schellenboom, Eva Suggs) won two events apiece.
• Liberty freshman Maddie Freece and junior Olivia Robinson tied for the victory in one-meter diving, both scoring 281.80 for the six-dive list. That score earns both divers a spot in the 2021 NCAA Zone Diving Championships. It will be Robinson's third straight trip to NCAA Zone Championships, and Freece is the fourth Lady Flame all-time to qualify for NCAA Zones.
• Freshman Chloe Harris won the 400 IM, good for her first collegiate individual-event win. Junior Shelby Haines won the 100 backstroke for the second time in her career, and first since Oct. 5, 2019 at Saint Francis (Pa.).
• Suggs (1:56.84) chased down defending CCSA Women's Swimmer of the Week Delaney Carlton (1:57.23) for the win in the 200 freestyle. Carlton later edged Liberty's Hannah Huenefeld for first (52.60 to 52.70) in the 100 free.
• With the Lady Flames in command of the lead, Liberty swam the final four events as exhibitions.
• Freece and Robinson are now tied for second in program history in one-meter diving with their 281.80 scores from today, while Allie Hallstrand's 253.85 during list one tonight is good for fifth all-time at Liberty on one-meter springboard. Robinson's previous top score while at Liberty was 279.60 from the 2019 Liberty Diving Invitational.
• Liberty is 6-0 all-time in dual meets against UNC Asheville.
• The Lady Flames are now 37-4 all-time when competing in North Carolina, having won 36 straight dual meets in the Tar Heel State.
Liberty will head to Buies Creek, N.C. and will take on Campbell tomorrow at noon.