Lady Flames, Chanticleers to Meet in Saturday Afternoon ASUN Game
The Liberty Lady Flames lacrosse team will put its unbeaten conference record on the line when it takes on Coastal Carolina, Saturday afternoon in an ASUN matchup. First draw is noon at Brooks Stadium in Conway, S.C.
Liberty carries an 8-6 overall mark and 2-0 ASUN record into the weekend, sharing first place with No. 21 Jacksonville (8-3, 2-0 ASUN). Coastal Carolina is 5-8 overall and 1-1 in the ASUN, sharing third place with Kennesaw State (9-5, 1-1 ASUN).
Lady Flames News and Notes
• Both teams will be looking to bounce back from midweek non-conference losses. Liberty fell 22-3 at No. 11 James Madison, Wednesday evening. Coastal Carolina was topped 17-6 by Virginia Tech in a home game on Wednesday afternoon.
• This will be the 10th all-time meeting between the two teams. Liberty holds a 6-3 advantage in the all-time series. The two squads last met during the 2021 season in non-conference action, as Coastal Carolina was in the SoCon last season. The Lady Flames edged the Chanticleers in dramatic fashion by a 14-13 score at the Liberty Lacrosse Field in that game. Midfielder Olivia Glaze scored the game-winning goal with 1:23 remaining, and goalkeeper Jennifer Soriero preserved the victory with a save of a free-position with three seconds left in the contest.
• Liberty defeated Coastal Carolina twice at Brooks Stadium in 2019 in its inaugural year in the ASUN (Coastal Carolina was in the ASUN that year). In the regular season meeting, Jenna Joyal score the game winner with 59 seconds left in an 11-10 victory. The two teams met again in the ASUN Lacrosse Championship semifinals, with the Lady Flames prevailing 18-8.
• Liberty midfielder Mackenzie Lehman earned ASUN Player of the Week honors, Tuesday. This is the sophomore’s second career player of the week accolade. Lehman notched a career-best six goals last Saturday versus Stetson and added a game-high nine draw controls, two ground balls and a caused turnover. The McMurray, Pa. native paces the squad in goals (32) and points (40) despite missing two games this season. She ranks seventh in the nation in shot percentage at .615, scoring 32 goals on 52 shots this season.
• Liberty ranks in the top five nationally in caused turnovers per game (No. 2, 13.29) and ground balls per game (No. 4, 20.57). Defender Alexa Evernham ranks No. 12 in the country in caused turnovers per game (1.93), leading the ASUN in the category. Evernham’s 27 caused turnovers this year are tied for the most 10th most in a single season in program history. Midfielder Mia Toscano checks in at 20th in the nation in ground balls per game (2.85).
• The Lady Flames’ balanced offensive attack features nine double-digit goal scorers: Lehman (32), Jordan Baerga (29), Brooke Bryan (22), Cami Merkel (21), Lizzy Ferguson (16), Olivia Glaze (15), Toscano (12), Jordan Sheive (11) and Tori Banks (11).
• Liberty is among others receiving votes for a second straight week in the IL Women/IWLCA Division I poll, which lists the top 25 teams in the country.
• The Lady Flames’ two highest offensive outputs this season have been in ASUN play. Liberty scored 22 goals against Delaware State in a 22-5 win on April 2, followed by a 22-9 triumph over Stetson in ASUN play on April 9.