Lady Flames Best Mean Green 4-1 for Fourth Straight Win
Liberty handed North Texas only its second loss of the season, prevailing 4-1 in a neutral site match at the USF Varsity Tennis Courts on Friday afternoon.
With the win, the Lady Flames improve to 6-3 and have won four straight matches. The Mean Green slip to 6-2 on the year and see a two-match winning streak ended.
Liberty improves to 2-2 all-time versus North Texas. The Lady Flames have defeated the Mean Green two times in the last three seasons (other: 2020).
Thoughts From Head Coach Jeff Maren
“North Texas is a very good team and led by great coaches. This win was a solid one for us because we had to play at a high level, and all of the girls were able to do that. We had good composure from start to finish, so I am very proud of them. To God be the glory!”
Liberty 4, North Texas 1
- M. Juliana P. Romero (LIBERTYW) def. Lucie Devier (UNT) 6-1, 6-3
- Jasmine Adams (UNT) def. Alexandra Almborg (LIBERTYW) 6-4, 6-3
- Eloise Saraty (LIBERTYW) def. Liisa Vehvilainen (UNT) 6-4, 6-1
- Esther Lovato (LIBERTYW) def. Maria Ponomareva (UNT) 6-0, 6-1
- Tiffany Nguyen (LIBERTYW) vs. Kexuan Zhou (UNT) 6-2, 3-4, unfinished
- Micaela Ode Mitre (LIBERTYW) vs. Sophia Hummel (UNT) 6-4, 4-3, unfinished
- Tiffany Nguyen/Maretha Burger (LIBERTYW) def. Jasmine Adams/Lucie Devier (UNT) 6-1
- M. Juliana P. Romero/Micaela Ode Mitre (LIBERTYW) def. Saki Oyama/Liisa Vehvilainen (UNT) 7-6 (7-4)
- Kexuan Zhou/Maria Ponomareva (UNT) def. Eloise Saraty/Alexandra Almborg (LIBERTYW) 6-4
North Texas 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (4,3,2,1)
How It Happened
• Liberty edged North Texas in the doubles session and picked up singles wins on courts four, three and one.
• Liberty won the doubles session for a fourth straight match, doing so in dramatic fashion by emerging victorious in a tiebreaker on court two. In that match, the Lady Flames’ Maria Juliana Parra Romero and Micaela Ode Mitre edged Saki Oyama and Liisa Vehvilainen of the Mean Green 7-6 (4).
• The Lady Flames’ other doubles win came in the No. 1 slot, as Tiffany Nguyen and Maretha Burger bested Jasmine Adams and Lucie Devier 6-1. North Texas’ one doubles triumph was courtesy of Kexuan Zhou and Mariya Ponomareva on court three, 6-4 over Alexandra Almborg and Eloise Saraty.
• Liberty sophomore Esther Lovato continued her dominance in the No. 4 singles slot with a 6-0, 6-1 decision over Ponomareva. Lovato’s fifth spring win made it 2-0 Lady Flames.
• Playing in only her second singles match of the spring season, Liberty’s Saraty (No. 3 singles) knocked off Vehvilainen in straight sets, 6-4, 6-1, bringing the Lady Flames within a point of victory (3-0).
• The final two matches to conclude ended simultaneously, as UNT’s Adams bested Almborg (6-4, 6-3 at No. 2) at the exact same time as Liberty’s Parra Romero (No. 1 singles) topped Devier (6-1, 6-3). Parra Romero’s team-best sixth win of the spring campaign sealed the 4-1 win.
• The No. 5 and No. 6 singles matches went unfinished. Nguyen (Liberty, No. 5) won her first set 6-2 against Zhou (UNT), while Ode Mitre (Liberty) topped Sophia Hummel (UNT) 6-4 in the opening set on court six.
• Liberty’s four-match winning streak is its longest since also winning four straight matches toward the end of the 2021 campaign (March 28-April 5). The Lady Flames captured their first six matches of the 2021 season. Liberty has outscored its opponents 19-2 during the current winning streak.
• Today’s victory was the Lady Flames’ first neutral site triumph of 2022. Liberty is 1-2 in neutral site matches.
• Liberty Women’s Tennis Head Coach Jeff Maren spent six seasons as associate head coach of the women’s tennis program at North Texas prior to joining the Lady Flames tennis program.
• Liberty will return to action on Saturday for a road match against the South Florida Bulls (1-5). First serve is 11 a.m. at the USF Varsity Tennis Courts.
• The Lady Flames are 0-2 all-time against the Bulls, with USF prevailing in both 2017 and 2021.