Jacksonville Holds Off Late Liberty Charge for 7-4 Victory
The Liberty Flames rallied with three runs in the eighth inning to cut their deficit to one run, before falling to the Jacksonville Dolphins 7-4, Sunday afternoon at John Sessions Stadium.
With the victory, Jacksonville takes the ASUN Conference series, two games to one. It is the first time this season that Liberty has dropped a three-game conference series.
Jacksonville scored four runs in the third inning to take a 5-1 lead, which it never relinquished.
Three Flames had two hits in the game, including designated hitter Ben Highfill, whose two-out double plated two runs in the top of the eighth to trim the Jacksonville lead to 5-4.
Liberty falls to 10-5 in the ASUN and 30-13 overall. Jacksonville improves to 9-9 in ASUN play and 23-20 overall.
Box Score Highlights
Records: Liberty (30-13, 10-5 ASUN); Jacksonville (23-20, 9-9 ASUN)
Location: Jacksonville, Fla. (John Sessions Stadium)
WP: Austin Temple (3-2) | LP: Noah Skirrow (3-4) | SV: Zach Bryant (8)
JU – 1st INNIING – Cassala doubles, Juylia scores, 1-0
LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Wagner doubles, Embry scores, 1-1
JU – 3rd INNING – Cassala singles, Dubrule and Juylia score, 3-1
JU – 3rd INNING – Southern doubles, Cassala and Camacho score, 5-1
LIBERTY – 8th INNING – McDyre flies out, Locklear scores, 5-2
LIBERTY – 8th INNING – Highfill doubles, Betts and Heid score, 5-4
JU – 8th INNING – Throwing error by second baseman, Cassala scores, 6-4
JU – 8th INNING – Fielding error by shortstop, Hunter scores, 7-4
– Jacksonville outhit Liberty, 9-8.
– Liberty left 10 men on base, while Jacksonville left seven.
-The Flames committed a season-high four errors in the contest. The Dolphins did not make an error.
– First baseman Logan Mathieu and second baseman Will Wagner joined Highfill,who recorded his second multi-hit game of the year, with two hits in the contest. Mathieu collected two hits in a contest for the second straight game.
– Flames relievers Garret Price and Mason Meyer allowed only two runners to reach, both on errors, from the fifth through seven innings.
– Dolphins right-hander Austin Temple held the Flames to one run on three hits over six innings in recording the victory.
– Jacksonville first baseman John Cassala led all hitters in the game with three hits and three RBI.
After the Flames tied it in the top of the third inning at 1-1, the Dolphins countered with four runs in the bottom of the inning. Jacksonville used three hits and walk with one out to take a 5-1 advantage.
Beyond the Box Score
– The Flames drop their first three-game weekend series since their season-opening series at South Carolina, Feb. 15-17.
– Liberty left 10 or more men on base in each game of the three-game series and a total of 35.
– Left fielder Gray Betts extended his hitting streak to a career high nine games with a single in the eighth inning. In addition, the freshman has reached base safely in 18 consecutive contests.
– Catcher Jonathan Embry walked twice in the contest to run his reached base safely streak to 19 games, a season-high.
Liberty travels to Chapel Hill, N.C., for a rematch with the No. 15-ranked North Carolina Tar Heels, Tuesday. Earlier in the season, the Flames defeated the Tar Heels 2-0 on March 19 at Liberty Baseball Stadium. First pitch is scheduled for 6 p.m.