Jacksonville Dumps Liberty 11-3, Saturday
The Jacksonville Dolphins downed the Liberty Flames 11-3 in the middle game of a three-game ASUN series, Saturday evening at Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium.
After Liberty jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first inning, Jacksonville pitchers held the Flames in check the rest of the way for the victory to even the three-game series at 1-1.
Center fielder Derek Orndorff had two hits and belted his team-leading 14th home run in the contest for Liberty. Left fielder Three Hillier had three hits for the Flames.
Liberty falls to 29-16 overall and 15-8 in ASUN play. The Dolphins move to 24-20 overall and 10-13 in the conference.
Box Score Highlights
Records: Jacksonville (24-20, 10-13 ASUN); Liberty (29-16, 15-8 ASUN)
Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium)
WP: Michael Darrell-Hicks (3-4) | LP: Dylan Cumming (4-3)
1st INNING – LIBERTY – Orndorff homers, 1-0
1st INNING – LIBERTY – Mathieu singles, Hillier scores, 2-0
2nd INNING – JAX – Ridley doubles, Diaz scores, 2-1
2nd INNING – JAX – Malloy singles, Ridley scores, 2-2
3rd INNING – JAX – Diaz singles, Joseph scores, 3-2
3rd INNING – JAX – Ridley singles, Berg scores, 4-2
4th INNING – JAX – Diaz singles, DeLamielleure scores, 5-2
4th INNING – JAX – Ridley walks, Berg scores, 6-2
5th INNING – JAX – DeLamielleure singles, Hodges scores, 7-2
5th INNING – JAX – Joseph grounds out, DeLamielleure scores, 8-2
6th INNING – JAX – Malloy reaches on a fielder’s choice, Diaz scores (unearned), 9-2
6th INNING – JAX – DeLamielleure singles, Malloy (unearned) and Diaz (unearned) score, 11-2
9th INNING – LIBERTY – Hillier singles, Keeter scores, 11-3
– Jacksonville outhit Liberty, 13-9, in the contest. The Flames committed the game’s only error.
– Each team left 12 men on base.
– Liberty first baseman Logan Mathieu also had two hits in the contest.
– Flames’ starting pitcher Dylan Cumming takes the loss. He allowed six runs on nine hits over 3 1/3 innings. He struck out three and walked four.
– Jacksonville right-hander Michael Darrell-Hicks records the win. He gave up two runs on seven hits over 5 2/3 innings. He struck out five and walked three.
– Dolphins’ right fielder Blake DeLamielleure had three hits and two RBI in the contest. He also scored two runs.
– Jacksonville third baseman Jonah Diaz also collected three hits in the contest, driving in two and scoring two runs.
Beyond the Box Score
– Jacksonville evens the series at 1-1. The Flames defeated the Dolphins 7-5, yesterday
– The contest was scheduled to begin at 4 p.m., but rain showers moved into the Lynchburg area before game time, causing the contest to get underway at 6:45 p.m.
– Hillier posts the first three-hit game of his career and his 11th multi-hit game of the season.
– Mathieu collects two or more hits in a game for the second consecutive day and his 13th multi-hit game of 2022. Yesterday, the Liberty first baseman had three hits.
– Orndorff records his 12th multi-hit game of the year. His home run was his first since April 14th in a 9-2 win at Kennesaw State.
Liberty and Jacksonville will wrap up their three-game series tomorrow at Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium. First pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m.