Gulakowski Helps Propel Liberty Past Radford 5-1
Designated hitter Brady Gulakowski drove in three runs, as the Liberty Flames topped the Radford Highlanders 5-1 at Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium, Tuesday.
Gulakowski hit a two-run home run in the second inning and doubled in an insurance run in the
eighth inning. The Flames designated hitter was the only player in the game with more than one hit.
Meanwhile, Liberty pitching kept Radford in check, allowing one run on four hits over nine innings.
Liberty snaps a three-game losing skid and moves to 3-5 on the year. Radford drops to 4-3.
Box Score Highlights
Records: Radford (4-3); Liberty (3-5)
Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium)
WP: David Erickson (2-0) | LP: Ryan Bywaters (0-1)
LIBERTY – 2nd INNING – Gulakowski homers, Wilson scores, 2-0
RADFORD – 3rd INNING – Archer singles, Matheny scores, 2-1
LIBERTY – 4th INNING – Guy singles, Gulakowski and Mathieu score, 4-1
LIBERTY – 8th INNING – Gulakowski doubles, Locklear scores, 5-1
- Liberty outhit Radford, 8-4, in the contest. Neither team committed an error.
- Each team left seven men on base.
- Gulakowski' s home run was his first of the year. The designated hitter also reached base three times in the contest. Besides his two hits, he walked and scored two runs.
- Liberty reliever David Erickson took over with one out in the top of the fourth. He pitched 2 2/3 scoreless innings to pick-up the win and run his record to 2-0 on the year. He struck out four and walked one.
- Right-hander Nick Willard pitched two scoreless innings. He struck out four and did not walk a batter.
In the top of the fourth with Liberty on top 2-1, Radford loaded the bases with one out. However, Erickson was able to get Highlanders second baseman Jalen Buster to bounce into an inning-end double play to hold the Flames’ one run lead.
Beyond the Box Score
- Liberty takes the first meeting of a scheduled two meetings between the two teams, this season. The Flames are scheduled to finish their regular season with a contest at Radford on May 18.
- Gulakowski's two-hit and three-RBI game was his first multi-hit and multi-RBI game of 2021.
- Right fielder Jake Wilson singled and scored a run in the contest. Wilson has had a hit in each of his last five contests.
- Catcher Gray Betts saw his seven-game hit streak come to an end in the contest. Entering the contest, Betts had at least one hit in each Liberty game this season.
Liberty returns the road for a weekend series against the UCF Knights. The series in Orlando, Fla. gets underway, Friday night. Game time is set for 6 p.m.