Fuchs Widens Lead and Flames Hold onto 2nd Place at Seminole Intercollegiate
Liberty’s Alexandre Fuchs backed up a career-low 7-under par 65 with the same score on Saturday, widening his individual lead heading into the final round of the Seminole Intercollegiate.
The junior’s career-best performances allowed No. 21 Liberty to maintain its second-place standing. The Flames have carded an aggregate 15-under par 561 (281-280) following two trips around Golden Eagle Country Club (par 72, 6,965 yards).
Liberty is two strokes off the pace set by No. 17 and tournament host Florida State, who leads the 15-team field with a 17-under par 559 (277-282).
No. 1 Oklahoma (11-under par 565) and No. 14 Oklahoma State (10-under par 566) follow behind Liberty and Florida State on the team leaderboard.
Florida State, Liberty and Oklahoma will be the last teams sent off the No. 1 tee (par 4, 392 yards) on Sunday, starting at 9:30 a.m.
Round Recap – Liberty’s Starting Five:
• Alexandre Fuchs – 1 14-under par 130 (65-65)
• Jonathan Yaun – T14 2-under par 142 (71-71)
• No. 41 Kieran Vincent – T17 1-under par 143 (71-72)
• Ervin Chang – T36 2-over par 146 (74-72)
• Isaac Simmons – T79 12-over par 156 (76-80)
• The 15-team field includes eight teams that are currently ranked in the latest Golfstat national top-50 rankings: Oklahoma (No. 1), Oklahoma State (No. 14), Florida State (No. 17), Liberty (No. 21), North Florida (No. 29), Duke (No. 32), South Florida (No. 33) and Virginia (No. 41).
• The Flames (8-under par 280) bested the tournament host Seminole (6-under par 282) on their own course on Saturday by two strokes to reduce Florida State’s lead to two.
• Oklahoma, the top-ranked team in the country, fired the best round on Saturday with a 12-under par 276.
• NC State and West Virginia also found success on Saturday, carding a 10-under par 278.
• Fuchs holds a six-stroke lead over fellow ASUN Conference golfer Van Holmgrem from Florida Gulf Coast, who is in second place with an 8-under par 136 (69-67).
Birdies and Bogeys – Liberty Team Notes:
• Fuchs’ pair of 7-under par 65s during this event best his previous career low round of 66 carded twice during the 2018-19 season (Oct. 8 at the Intercollegiate at the Grove; March 16 at Linger Longer Invitational).
• Fuchs has birdied all four par-5 holes during both rounds of the tournament and leads the field in par-5 scoring (4.00 average).
• Jonathan Yaun carded his second-straight 71 and is currently tied for 14th place with a 2-under par 142 (71-71).
• Yaun is tied for second in the field with 29 total pars.
• Kieran Vincent, who entered the tournament individually ranked No. 41 in the country, is tied for 17th place with a 1-under par 143 (71-72).
• Golden Eagle Country Club (Tallahassee, Fla.)
• Par 72, 6,965 yards
Following the Flames at Seminole Intercollegiate:
• Live stats will be available at Golfstat.com
• Twitter @LibertyGolf
• Instagram @LibertyGolf
• Round 3 Tee Time: Friday – 9:30 a.m. (No. 1 tee)