Flames Wrap Up Third-Place Finish at 2022 ASUN Championship
No. 36 Liberty pushed eventual tournament champion North Florida midway through Round 3 of the ASUN Championship but ultimately finished in third place.
Midway through the final round, Liberty got within five shots of the Ospreys on several occasions, but the Flames would get no closer. Liberty finished the event with a final score of 9-over par 861 (294-280-287).
Austin Duncan paced the Flames during the championship event, finishing in a three-way tie for second place with a final score of 4-under par 209 (74-67-68). For his strong showing, Duncan was named to the 2022 ASUN Men’s Golf All-Championship team.
The Flames will now await their possible selection into the 2022 NCAA Regional fields, which will be announced on Wednesday, May 4 at 4 p.m. EST on the Golf Channel.
Liberty will be looking to make its 10th NCAA Regional appearance in the last 11 seasons and 12th overall appearance in the postseason event.
Round Recap – Liberty’s Starting Five:
- Austin Duncan – T2 4-under par 209 (74-67-68)
- Austin Barbin – T11 4-over par 217 (73-70-74)
- Isaac Simmons – T18 6-over par 219 (72-72-75)
- 46 Kieran Vincent – T20 7-over par 220 (78-71-71)
- Jonathan Yaun – T26 10-over par 223 (75-74-74)
- 39 North Florida was the only team in the field to finish under-par, posting a winning score of 4-under par 848 (280-283-285).
- FGCU took the runner-up spot, finishing 11 shots behind North Florida with a 7-over par 859 (293-282-284).
- Liberty finished six shots clear of Lipscomb, who finished in fourth place with a final score of 15-over par 867 (290-283-294).
- 2022 ASUN Men’s Golfer of the Year Nick Gabrelcik claimed medalist honors, winning by four shots with a final score of 8-under par 205 (72-66-67).
- Only five players in the 64-man field finished in red figures with the course playing at a 74.83 stroke average for the championship event.
Birdies and Bogeys – Liberty Team Notes:
- With his under-par scores during rounds two and third, Austin Duncan now leads the team with nine sub-70 rounds this season.
- Three other Flames finished the event inside the top 10: Austin Barbin (T11 4-over par 217/73-70-74), Isaac Simmons (T18 6-over par 219/72-72-75) and No. 46 Kieran Vincent (T20 7-over par 220/78-71-71).
- Liberty finished the championship event leading the 12-team field in par-4 scoring (4.04) and birdies (54).
Back on the Course – Liberty’s Next Event:
- NCAA Regionals (May 16-18)
- Announced on May 4 at 4 p.m. on the Golf Channel
- Six NCAA Regional Host Sites:
- Bryan, Texas – Traditions Club (host: Texas A&M)
- Columbus, Ohio – OSU Golf Club – Scarlet Course (host: Ohio State)
- New Haven, Connecticut – Yale Golf Course (host: Yale)
- Palm Beach Gardens, Florida – PGA National Resort – Champions Course (host: Florida Atlantic)
- Stockton, California – The Reserve at Spanos Park (host: Pacific)
- Tuscaloosa, Alabama – Ol’ Colony Golf Complex (host: Alabama)