Flames Wrap Up Florida Swing at FGCU Hosted Event
The Flames will play their third-straight event in the state of Florida when Liberty opens play at the Coral Creek Club Invitational on Monday.
The two-day, 54-hole event is hosted by FGCU at the Coral Creek Club (par 71, 7,143 yards) in Placida, Fla.
The tournament’s 16-team field includes eight teams currently ranked inside the top 75 in the country in the latest Golfstat national rankings: Texas A&M (No. 18), USF (No. 27), North Florida (No. 38), Kent State (No. 40), Liberty (No. 47), UCF (No. 66), FGCU (No. 67) and Memphis (No. 70).
The field also features six ASUN Conference team, including tournament host FGCU, Jacksonville, Kennesaw State, Liberty, Lipscomb and North Florida.
Play gets underway on Monday at 8:15 a.m. with a shotgun start (36 holes). The tournament concludes with 18 holes on Tuesday.
Now on The Tee – Liberty’s Starting Five (2021-22 Stroke Average)
- Kieran Vincent (71.67)
- Austin Duncan (72.33)
- Isaac Simmons (72.89)
- Connor Polender (73.08)
- Austin Barbin (74.00)
- Individual: Zach Barbin (74.33)
Tournament Reflections – Previous Showing at the Coral Creek Club Invitational:
- This is the first time the Flames have ever competed in the Coral Creek Club Invitational.
- The Coral Creek Club Invitational is the third first-time event on Liberty’s 2021-22 schedule, joining the Maridoe Collegiate Invitational (Sept. 13-15) and the Hamptons Intercollegiate (Oct. 4-5) from the Flames’ fall schedule.
- Liberty will also make its first-ever appearance at the Lewis Chitengwa Memorial, April 11-12, hosted by Virginia at Birdwood Golf Course in Charlottesville, Va.
- This is the first year FGCU has hosted this event and it will be contested at the Coral Creek Club.
- The club features a world-class Tom Fazio designed course that was completely refreshed during the 2020 summer under the guidance of the Fazio Design Group.
From the 18th Green – Recapping Liberty’s Last Time Out
- Liberty finished in 14th place at the Gator Invitational, Feb. 12-13, where the Flames carded a 39-over par 879 (299-286-294).
- Then ranked No. 31 Florida, the tournament host, used it home course advantage to secure a 12-stroke victory on Sunday.
- The Gator posted a winning score of 28-under par 812 (267-269-276).
- Oklahoma State, the top ranked team in the field at No. 3, finished in second place with a 16-under par 824 (278-271-275).
- Two other teams in the 14-team field finished in red figures: No. 25 South Florida 2-under par 838 (280-276-282) and Georgia Southern 1-under par 839 (290-275-274).
- Florida’s Fred Biondi captured individual medalist honors with a winning score of 14-under par 196 (63-66-67).
- Jonathan Yaun led the Flames at the event, finishing tied for 28th place with a 3-over par 213 (75-70-68).
Birdies and Bogeys – Liberty Team Notes
- Liberty enters the Coral Creek Club Invitational ranked No. 47 in the latest Golfstat team rankings.
- The Flames finished their fall season ranked No. 22 in the Golfweek Men’s Golf Team Rankings, No. 24 in the Bushnell/Golfweek Division I Coaches Poll and No. 26 in the Golfstat team rankings
- Liberty finished the fall season with a 288.33 team stroke average, the fourth-best mark in program history.
- Returning All-American and redshirt senior Kieran Vincent paced Liberty during the fall with a 72.33 stroke average.
- Liberty had four other players finish the fall season less than one stroke behind Vincent in scoring average: Austin Duncan (72.44), Connor Polender (72.56), Jonathan Yaun 972.89) and Isaac Simmons (73.00).
- Liberty entered the spring season looking to defend its ASUN Championship with the 2022 conference championship set for April 24-26 at the University of Georgia Golf Course in Athens, Ga.
- The Flames have advanced to the NCAA Regionals nine of the last 10 regional events and to the NCAA Men’s Golf Championship three times in program history (2012, 2019 and 2021).
Looking at the Latest Rankings:
Cincinnati (No. 80)
FGCU (No. 67)
Illinois State (No. 108)
Jacksonville (No. 91)
Kennesaw State (No. 188)
Kent State (No. 40)
Liberty (No. 47)
Lipscomb (No. 110)
Memphis (No. 70)
North Florida (No. 38)
North Texas (No. 124)
South Alabama (No. 100)
Texas A&M (No. 18)
Toledo (No. 84)
UCF (No. 66)
USF (No. 27)
Note: Golfstat national rankings (as of Feb. 22)
- Coral Creek Club (Placida, Fla.)
- Par 71, 7,143 yards
Following the Flames at Coral Creek Club Invitational:
- Live stats will be available at Golfstat.com
- Twitter @LibertyGolf
- Instagram @LibertyGolf
- Round 1 Tee Time: Monday at 8:15 a.m./EST (Shotgun Start)