Flames Wrap Fall Slate at Ka’anapali Classic Collegiate Invitational
For the third time in program history, the Flames are headed to Hawaii where Liberty will wrap up its 2022 fall schedule this weekend.
The Flames, who are ranked No. 49 in the latest Golfstat national rankings, begin their fourth and final event of the fall on Friday at the 2022 Ka’anapali Classic Collegiate Invitational.
The three-day, 54-hole event will be contested at the Ka‘anapali Golf Club – Royal Ka‘anapali Course (par 71, 6,700 yards) in Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii.
The 20-team field includes nine teams that are currently ranked inside the latest Golfstat top-75 rankings of the year: Oklahoma (No. 11), Georgia (No. 20), North Florida (No. 29), Ole Miss (No. 40), East Tennessee State (No. 45), Liberty (No. 49), Colorado (No. 51), Kansas (No. 54) and Clemson (No. 62).
Now on The Tee – Liberty’s Starting Five (2022-23 Stroke Average)
No. 82 Jonathan Yaun (70.67)
Josh Ryan (71.22)
Isaac Simmons (71.89)
Connor Polender (73.11)
Austin Barbin (73.22)
Tournament Reflections – Liberty’s Previous Showing at the Ka’anapali Classic Collegiate Invitational:
- The Flames will participate in the Ka’anapali Classic Collegiate Invitational for the third time in program history.
- Liberty finished in 13th place in 2015 at this event and in sixth place in 2019.
- Liberty’s sixth-place showing in 2019 included the Flames carding a program-record 54-hole total of 29-under par 823 (272-272-279).
- Alexandre Fuchs paced Liberty’s efforts in 2019, carding a 10-under par 203 (68-67-68).
- Two of Liberty’s current players also played in the 2019 event.
- Jonathan Yaun finished tied for 18th place with a 7-under par 205 (67-65-74) and Connor Polender finished tied for 46th place with a 2-under par 211 (67-69-75).
From the 18th Green – Recapping Liberty’s Last Time Out:
- The Flames are coming off a second-place finish at the Quail Valley Collegiate (Oct. 16-17).
- Liberty carded a 36-under par 828 (278-275-275) during three trips around the Quail Valley Golf Club (par 72 7,460 yards) in Vero Beach, Fla.
- Liberty’s 36-under par 828 marked the fourth lowest 54-hole team total in program history.
- Liberty finished the event tied with tournament host Michigan State (277-286-265).
- The event was won by fellow ASUN Conference member North Florida, who carded a winning score of 39-under par 825 (275-273-277).
- Josh Ryan paced Liberty’s effort at the tournament, finishing tied for seventh place with a 10-under par 206 (68-72-66).
Birdies and Bogeys – Liberty Team Notes
- Liberty is currently ranked No. 49 in the latest Golfstat national rankings, while Jonathan Yaun is individually ranked No. 82 in the country.
- Liberty currently ranks No. 7 in the country in par-5 scoring (4.58 scoring average) and No. 49 in eagles (9).
- The Flames also ranks No. 49 in the country in par-3 scoring (3.13 scoring average).
- Individually, Josh Ryan ranks No. 66 in the country in first round scoring (69.33 scoring average) and No. 86 in par-3 scoring (3.00 scoring average).
- The Flames entered the 2022-23 season as one of 11 teams in the country who have advanced to the NCAA Men’s Golf National Championship each of the last three years.
- The 11-team group includes Arizona State, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Liberty, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Pepperdine, Texas, Vanderbilt and Wake Forest.
- Liberty finished the 2021-22 golf season ranked No. 35 in the final Golfstat rankings and No. 38 in the final Golfweek rankings.
- Since 2011, Liberty has captured six conference titles in two different conferences.
- Liberty captured the conference title five times as a member of the Big South Conference (2011, 2012, 2014, 2016 and 2018).
- Liberty won its first-ever ASUN Conference championship in 2021.
- The Flames have advanced to the NCAA Regionals 10 of the last 11 regional events and to the NCAA Men’s Golf Championship four times in program history (2012, 2019, 2021 and 2022).
Looking at the Latest Rankings (Golfstat rankings as of Oct. 26):
Air Force (No. 258)
Boise State (No. 186)
Clemson (No. 62)
Colorado (No. 51)
Connecticut (No. 171)
Cal State – Northridge (No. 115)
Denver (No. 130)
East Tennessee State (No. 45)
Georgia (No. 20)
Gonzaga (No. 183)
Hawai‘i (No. 136)
Kansas (No. 54)
Liberty (No. 49)
Louisiana (No. 143)
Mount Saint Mary’s (No. 262)
North Florida (No. 29)
Oklahoma (No. 11)
Ole Miss (No. 40)
UC Irvine (No. 102)
Wyoming (No. 111)
- Ka‘anapali Golf Club – Royal Ka‘anapali Course (Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii)
- Par 71, 6,700 yards
Following the Flames at Ka’anapali Classic Collegiate Invitational:
- Live stats will be available at Golfstat.com
- Twitter @LibertyGolf
- Instagram @LibertyGolf
- Round 1 Tee Time: Friday at 8:00 a.m./HST (shotgun start)