Flames Remain in 5th Place at Schenkel Invitational
No. 41 Liberty remains in fifth place at the 43rd annual Schenkel Invitational thanks to consistent scorecards from Austin Barbin, Connor Polender and Jonathan Yaun.
The trio of Flames’ golfers followed each other during their first two trips around the Forest Heights Country Club (par 72, 7,123 yards).
They will enter tomorrow’s final round in a share of 13th place with identical rounds of even par 72 and 1-under par 71 (overall 1-under par 143).
As a team, Liberty remains in fifth place with an overall score of 2-under par 574 (287-287). The Flames find themselves in a segmented leaderboard, as they are bunched together with Kentucky (5-under par 571/286-285) and Middle Tennessee State (4-under par 572/291-281).
Tournament host and No. 19 Georgia Southern and No. 24 Mississippi State have outdistanced themselves from the rest of the 14-team field.
Georgia Southern leads the field on its home course with a 23-under par 553 (272-281). Mississippi State is in second place with a 12-under par 564 (284-280).
Georgia Southern’s Ben Carr, the No. 83 ranked golfer in the country, leads the 84-man field with an 8-under par 136 (68-68).
Liberty’s final round at the Georgia Southern tournament will begin tomorrow at 9:15 a.m. The Flames will tee it up alongside Wisconsin and Middle Tennessee State on Sunday.
Round Recap – Liberty’s Starting Five:
- Austin Barbin – T13 1-under par 143 (72-71)
- Jonathan Yaun – T13 1-under par 143 (72-71)
- Connor Polender – T13 1-under par 143 (72-71)
- Josh Ryan – 40 3-over par 147 (73-74)
- Isaac Simmons – T50 6-over par 150 (71-79)
- Individual: Evan Barbin – T83 16-over par 160 (80-80)
- Forest Heights Country Club (Statesboro, Ga.)
- Par 72, 7,123 yards
Following the Flames at Schenkel Invitational:
- Live stats will be available at Golfstat.com
- Twitter @LibertyGolf
- Instagram @LibertyGolf
- Round 3 Tee Time: Sunday at 9:15 a.m./EST (No. 1 tee)