Flames Move Up Leaderboard During Day 2 of ASUN Championship
No. 36 Liberty went to work on Monday during Day 2 of the ASUN Men’s Golf Championship, moving up two spots on the leaderboard to third place.
The Flames carded the second-lowest 18-hole total of the day, a 4-under par 280 during their second trip around the University of Georgia Golf Course (par 71, 7,258 yards).
Liberty enters tomorrow’s final round with an overall score of 6-over par 574 (294-280) following a 14-shot improvement over Day 1 of the championship event.
Liberty enters tomorrow’s final round trailing clubhouse leader and No. 39 ranked North Florida by 11 strokes (5-under par 563/280-283).
The Flames’ improvement on Monday was due in part to the stellar play of Austin Duncan. The graduate transfer carded a 4-under par 67, the lowest round by the Flames at this year’s championship event, and is currently in sixth place with an overall 1-under par 141 (74-67).
Due to the threat of inclement weather tomorrow, tee times were moved up and starting tees were split for the final round on Tuesday. Liberty, along with leader North Florida and Lipscomb will tee off the No. 1 tee starting at 8:45 a.m.
Round Recap – Liberty’s Starting Five:
- Austin Duncan – 6 1-under par 141 (74-67)
- Austin Barbin – 8 1-over par 143 (73-70)
- Isaac Simmons – T9 2-over par 144 (72-72)
- 46 Kieran Vincent – T30 7-over par 149 (78-71)
- Jonathan Yaun – T30 7-over par 149 (75-74)
- Five teams managed to break par on Monday after just one team found red numbers following the first round on Sunday.
- Jacksonville led the 12-team field on Monday with an 8-under par 276.
- The course played at a scoring average of 74.02 on Monday compared to a 75.57 scoring average on Sunday.
- Lipscomb is the team standing between Liberty and North Florida with an overall score of 5-over par 573 (290-283).
- The Flames have two teams that are close behind them in FGCU (7-over par 575) and Jacksonville (9-over par 577).
- North Florida’s Robbie Higgins holds a one-shot lead heading into the final round with a 36-hole score of 6-under par 136 (66-70).
- A total of six players in the 60-man field enter tomorrow’s final round in red figures.
Birdies and Bogeys – Liberty Team Notes:
- Duncan’s 4-under par 67 during round two on Monday marked the graduate transfer’s team-leading eighth sub-70 round of the season.
- Duncan has been the most consistent Flame during the championship with 24 pars, while adding in seven birdies.
- Overall, Liberty leads the 12-team field with 37 birdies, while ranking third-to-last with 99 pars.
- The Flames continue to lead the field in par-4 scoring (4.04 scoring average) and rank third in the field in par-5 scoring average (4.70).
- Austin Barbin is two shots behind Austin Duncan, holding down the eighth-place spot with an overall 1-over par 143 (73-70).
- Barbin carded a 1-under par 70 on Monday, accounting for this eighth round or par or better this season.
- Barbin and Kieran Vincent have attacked the par-5 holes, ranking tied for second in the field in par-5 scoring (4.33 scoring average).
- Isaac Simmons rounds out Liberty’s players currently ranked in the top 10 in the field, as he is tied for ninth place with an overall score of 2-over par 144 (72-72).
- University of Georgia Golf Couse (Athens, Ga.)
- Par 71, 7,259 yards
Following the Flames at ASUN Men’s Golf Championship:
- Live stats will be available at Golfstat.com
- Twitter @LibertyGolf
- Instagram @LibertyGolf
- Round 3 Tee Time: Tuesday – 8:45 a.m. (No. 1 tee)