Flames in 8th Place After Round 1 of Marquette Intercollegiate
No. 25 Liberty kicked off its 2021-22 season by firing a 1-under par 287 during round one of the 2021 Marquette Intercollegiate at Erin Hills on Sunday.
The Flames, who are ranked No. 25 in the Golfweek preseason top 25 poll, find themselves in eighth place out of 17 teams after one trip around the famed Erin Hill Golf Course.
Liberty will return to the host site of the 2017 U.S. Open championship for round two on Monday. The Flames tee off from the No. 1 tee (par 5, 553 yards), starting at 10 a.m. EST.
Round Recap – Liberty’s Starting Five:
- Connor Polender – T13 2-under par 70 (70)
- Austin Duncan – T20 1-under par 71 (71)
- Kieran Vincent – T30 even par 72 (72)
- Jonathan Yaun – T49 2-over par 74 (74)
- Isaac Simmons – T81 5-over par 77 (77)
- The Flames were the eighth and final team in the 17-team field to finish in red figures during play on Sunday.
- Purdue leads the field following an opening-round 13-under par 275.
- USF is three strokes behind Purdue in second place after a 10-under par 278 opening round.
- Texas A&M (6-under par 282), Kansas (5-under par 283) and Notre Dame (3-under par 285) finish off the round 1 top-five leaderboard.
- The course played at a stroke average of 72.88 to the 90-player field on Sunday.
- East Tennessee State’s Mats Ege holds the clubhouse lead after opening the tournament with a 7-under par 65.
- Texas A&M’s Walker Lee is in second place after a 6-under par 66, followed closely behind by five players who share third place at 5-under par.
Birdies and Bogeys – Liberty Team Notes:
- Connor Polender paced the way for the Flames during round one, carding a 2-under par 70 to share 13th place with a total of six other golfers.
- Polender and Kieran Vincent tied for team-high honors, each carding three birdies during the first round of the intercollegiate.
- Austin Duncan, a transfer from North Greenville, opened his Liberty career with a 1-under par 71 and is tied for 20th
- Duncan’s round included an eagle two on the par-4 No. 4 hole (439 yards), one of eight eagles during play on Sunday.
- Liberty ranked second in the field during the opening round with 62 total pars.
- Vincent, a returning All-American for the Flames, opened his season with an even-par 72 and is tied for 30th
- Vincent offset three opening-round bogeys with three birdies.
- Erin Hills Golf Course (Hartford, Wis.)
- Par 72, 7,344 yards
Following the Flames at Marquette Intercollegiate:
- Live stats will be available at Golfstat.com
- Twitter @LibertyGolf
- Instagram @LibertyGolf
- Round 2 Tee Time: Monday at 10:00 a.m./EST (off No. 1tee)