Flames in 3rd Place after Day 1 at Sea Best Invitational
No. 22 Liberty had a strong opening day to its spring schedule on Monday and is currently in third place at the 2022 Sea Best Invitational.
Following two trips around the TPC Sawgrass – Dye’s Valley Course (par 70, 6,873 yards), Liberty is currently two shots off the overall pace with its score of 9-over par 569 (285-284).
The Flames enter tomorrow’s final round trailing College of Charleston by two shots after the Cougars posted a 7-over par 567 (285-282) following 36 holes of action.
Final round action gets underway on Tuesday at 8 a.m. Liberty, along with golfers from College of Charleston and former Big South foe Campbell, will begin their final 18-hole trek around Dye’s Valley Course at 9:30 a.m.
Round Recap – Liberty’s Starting Five:
- Kieran Vincent – T7 1-over par 141 (71-70)
- Austin Barbin – T7 1-over par 141 (71-70)
- Austin Duncan – T21 4-over par 144 (72-72)
- Brett Reid – T21 4-over par 144 (72-72)
- Jonathan Yaun – T21 4-over par 144 (71-73)
- Individual: Zach Barbin – T34 6-over par 146 (70-76)
- Individual: Isaac Simmons – T34 6-over par 146 (72-74)
- The College of Charleston had the second-best round during the afternoon flight, allowing the Cougars to climb to the top of the Day 1 leaderboard (+2 282)
- 9 Texas A&M, the top ranked team in the field, opened the tournament with a 14-over par 293. The Aggies carded a 1-over par 281 during the afternoon and are currently in sixth place with an overall 15-over par 575.
- A total of nine shots separate the top seven teams in the field with No. 33 Louisville sitting in seventh place with a 16-over par 576 (288-288).
- Only four players in the 84-man field finished the first 36 holes in red figures.
- A pair of ASUN Conference golfers hold the individual lead: North Florida’s Nick Gabrelcik (69-69) and Jacksonville’s Alexandre Vandermoten (69-69) with a 2-under par 138).
Birdies and Bogeys – Liberty Team Notes:
- The Flames are currently led by Kieran Vincent (71-70) and Austin Barbin (71-70), as they share seventh place with a 1-over par 141.
- Vincent was near the top of the leaderboard late in the day, but he closed the second round with a double bogey-bogey combination on this final two holes.
- Liberty’s other five starters are currently tied for 21st place following a 4-over par 144: Austin Duncan (72-72), Brett Reid (72-72) and Jonathan Yaun (71-73).
- The Flames finished the first day of competition ranked second in the field with 29 birdies.
- Jonathan Yaun accounted for nine of Liberty’s 29 birdies and is currently tied for first in the field in total birdies.
- TPC Sawgrass – Dye’s Valley Course (Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla.)
- Par 70, 6,873 yards
Following the Flames at Sea Best Invitational:
- Live stats will be available at Golfstat.com
- Twitter @LibertyGolf
- Instagram @LibertyGolf
- Round 3 Tee Time: Monday at 9:30 a.m./EST (No. 1 tee)