Flames Down Pirates 3-2 Saturday
The Liberty Flames topped the Seton Hall Pirates 3-2, Saturday afternoon at Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium.
Pitchers Noah Skirrow and Landon Riley powered the Liberty victory. Skirrow allowed an unearned run on three hits over the first 6 1/3 innings, before leaving for Riley with a 3-1 lead and the bases loaded and one out. Riley proceeded to strike out the next two batters, leaving the bases full in the seventh. The right-hander went on to pitch the final two innings to close out the victory.
Flames catcher Brady Gulakowski hit his first home run of the season for the Flames in the fourth inning.
Liberty moves to 2-4 on the season. Seton Hall falls to 3-2.
Box Score Highlights
Records: Seton Hall (3-2); Liberty (2-4)
Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium)
WP: Noah Skirrow (1-1) | LP: Noah Thompson (0-1) | SV: Landon Riley (2)
LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Betts reaches on fielder's choice, McDyre scores, 1-0
SETON HALL – 4TH INNING – Dana grounds out, Shelder-McAvoy scores, 1-1
LIBERTY – 4th INNING – Gulakowski homers, 2-1
LIBERTY – 4th INNING – Wilkinson singles, Locklear scores, 3-1
SETON HALL – 9th INNING – Pokrovsky singles, Gale scores, 3-2
– Seton Hall edged Liberty in hits, 5-4. The Flames committed three errors, while the Pirates made two errors.
– Neither team had a player with more than one hit in the contest.
– Skirrow records his first victory of 2020, allowing an unearned run on three hits over 6 1/3 innings. The junior right-hander struck out six and walked two.
– Riley earns his second save of the season, recording the final eight outs of the contest. He gave up one run on two hits over 2 2/3 innings. The right-hander struck out two and did not walk a batter.
With the host Flames leading 3-1 in the top of the seventh inning, the Pirates loaded the bases with one out against Liberty's Skirrow. Flames head coach Scott Jackson summoned Riley from the bullpen and the junior struck out the next two batters to end the inning and hold Liberty's two-run advantage.
Beyond the Box Score
– With their win today, the Flames even their three-game series with the Pirates at 1-1. Seton Hall won Friday's contest 5-4.
– Gulakowski's home run was his first in a Liberty uniform. The catcher has reached base in all six of the Flames' contests this season.
– Third baseman Ben Highfill extended his hitting streak to four games with a double in the fifth.
– Garrett Wilkinson made his first start of the year at first base for the Flames, this afternoon. Wilkinson had previously served as the designated hitter in each of Liberty' first five games.
– Owen Wilson collected his first hit as a Flame in the seventh inning. The junior college transfer received his first Liberty start as the designated hitter in the contest.
Liberty and Seton Hall will wrap up their weekend series, Sunday afternoon at Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium. First pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m.