Flames Continue Fall Slate at Folds of Honor Collegiate
The Flames will continue their four-event fall golf schedule this upcoming week when Liberty participates in the inaugural Folds of Honor Collegiate.
The three-day, 54-hole event gets underway on Monday morning at the American Dunes Golf Club (par 72, 7,213 yards) in Grand Haven, Mich.
American Dunes Golf Club is a Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Course that is a tribute to the military and commemorates the birthplace of Folds of Honor.
The facility, which is located a few hundred yards from the east shore of Lake Michigan, is a dunes-like course, utilizing the dramatic local topography and sand base that covers the property.
The 18-team field includes nine teams that finished last year ranked inside the final top 75 Golfstat national rankings: Illinois (No. 18), Florida State (No. 23), Clemson (No. 24), Arizona (No. 27), Kansas (No. 29), Liberty (No. 35), NC State (No. 37), Michigan State (No. 46) and Oregon State (No. 55).
Now on The Tee – Liberty’s Starting Five (2021-22 Stroke Average)
- Jonathan Yaun (72.11)
- Austin Barbin (74.80)
- Isaac Simmons (72.27)
- Connor Polender (73.63)
- Josh Ryan (N/A)
Tournament Reflections – Liberty’s Previous Showing at the Folds of Honor Collegiate:
- This is the inaugural Folds of Honor Collegiate, the first of five first-time events on Liberty’s 2022-23 schedule.
- The Flames will also make their first-ever appearances at the Quail Volley Collegiate Invitational (Oct. 16-17), the Prestige Invitational (Feb. 20-22), the Schenkel Invitational (March 17-19) and the Mossy Oak Collegiate Championship (April 3-4).
- In the future, the tournament plans to feature two HBCU programs. This reflects the 41 percent of Folds of Honor recipients that are minorities and the GCAA and Black Golf Coaches Association of America partnership to help grow opportunities for HBCU and black college golf.
- Folds of Honor is a 501(c) (3) nonprofit organization that provides educational scholarships to the spouses and children of military members who have fallen or been disabled while serving in the United States Armed Forces.
From the 18th Green – Recapping Liberty’s Last Time Out
- The Flames opened their season with a sixth-place finish at the Rod Myers Invitational, Sept. 9-10.
- Liberty carded a 10-over par 874 (299-292-283) at the Duke University Golf Club in Durham, N.C.
- Liberty closed the two-day event with a strong showing, carding a 5-under par 284, guided by 18 birdies and an eagle during the final round.
- Liberty had a pair of golfers post sub-70 rounds during the Duke-hosted tournament: Jonathan Yaun (second round) and Austin Barbin (third round).
- Jonathan Yaun (74-69-74) and Austin Barbin (72-76-69) paced the Flames during the tournament, finishing tied for 17th place with a 1-over par 217.
- Liberty ranked second in the 14-team field in par-3 scoring (+10/3.17 stroke average).
- Jonathan Yaun individually ranked second in the field in 78-man field in par-3 scoring (-1/2.92 stroke average).
- Jonathan Yaun also led the field with 42 total pars, while Austin Barbin was one of 15 players during the tournament to card an eagle.
Birdies and Bogeys – Liberty Team Notes
- The Flames enter the 2022-23 season as one of 11 teams in the country who have advanced to the NCAA Men’s Golf National Championship each of the last three years.
- The 11-team group includes Arizona State, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Liberty, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Pepperdine, Texas, Vanderbilt and Wake Forest.
- Liberty finished the 2021-22 golf season ranked No. 35 in the final Golfstat rankings and No. 38 in the final Golfweek rankings.
- Liberty entered the 2022-23 season looking to replace its top two golfers from last season: Kieran Vincent (71.36 stroke average/five top 10 finishes) and Austin Duncan (72.00 stroke average: three top 10 finishes)
- Kieran Vincent posted 25 career top-10 finishes during his career at Liberty, which ranks second to Liberty Athletics Hall of Famer Robert Karlsson (31 – 2009-12).
- Kieran Vincent and Austin Duncan were named to the ASUN All-Conference first team in 2022, while Jonathan Yaun was a second-team all-conference selection.
- Austin Duncan was also named the ASUN Men’s Golf Scholar-Athlete of the Year, while Isaac Simmons joined Duncan on the ASUN All-Academic team.
- Since 2011, Liberty has captured six conference titles in two different conferences.
- Liberty captured the conference title five times as a member of the Big South Conference (2011, 2012, 2014, 2016 and 2018).
- Liberty won its first-ever ASUN Conference championship in 2021.
- The Flames have advanced to the NCAA Regionals 10 of the last 11 regional events and to the NCAA Men’s Golf Championship four times in program history (2012, 2019, 2021 and 2022).
- Liberty dominated play on the par-5 holes during the 2021-22 season and ranked No. 27 in the country in par-5 scoring average (4.74).
- The Flames also ranked No. 30 in the country in birdies last year (589) and No. 46 in last round scoring (72.45).
- Jonathan Yaun paced Liberty’s par-5 scoring efforts during the 2021-22 season as he individual ranked No. 141 in the country in par-5 scoring (4.64).
Looking at the Latest Rankings:
Grand Valley State
- American Dunes Golf Club (Grand Haven, Mich.)
- Par 72, 7,213 yards
Following the Flames at Marquette Intercollegiate:
- Live stats will be available at Golfstat.com
- Twitter @LibertyGolf
- Instagram @LibertyGolf
- Round 1 Tee Time: Monday at 9:15 a.m./EST (shotgun start)