Flames Close Out March Schedule at The Hayt
No. 43 Liberty will begin a busy stretch of events on Sunday when they make a return appearance at The Hayt.
The Flames will compete in three events before they look to defend their title at the 2022 ASUN Men’s Golf Championship next month (March 24-26 in Athens, Ga.).
The first of the three of events is The Hayt, hosted by fellow ASUN foe North Florida. The two-day, 54-hole event will be contested at Sawgrass Country Club (Par 72, 6,966 yards) in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla.
The tournament’s 15-team field includes 10 teams currently ranked inside the top 75 in the country in the latest Golfstat national rankings: Tennessee (No. 19), LSU (No. 25), Louisville (No. 37), North Florida (No. 38), Charlotte (No. 39), UAB (No. 40), Liberty (No. 43), Georgia Southern (No. 45), FGCU (No. 58) and UCF (No. 69).
Play gets underway on Sunday at 7:45 a.m. with a modified shotgun start (36 holes). The tournament concludes with 18 holes on Monday.
Now on The Tee – Liberty’s Starting Five (2021-22 Stroke Average)
- Kieran Vincent (71.44)
- Austin Duncan (72.05)
- Brett Reid (72.38)
- Jonathan Yaun (72.56)
- Austin Barbin (73.28)
Tournament Reflections – Liberty’s Previous Showing at They Hayt:
- Liberty has played in The Hayt five previous times (2014, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2021).
- The Flames were scheduled to play in the 2020 The Hayt (March 29-30) prior to the cancellation of the second half of the 2020-21 season due to the COVID-18 pandemic.
- The Flames’ best finish at this event was a third-place showing in 2018 when Liberty carded a 3-under par 861 (291-281-289).
- Last year, Liberty finished in fourth place after carding a 4-over par 868 (282-298-288).
- Kieran Vincent paced the Flames by finishing in fifth place in 2021 with a 6-under par 210 (71-70-69).
- Jonathan Yaun followed closely behind as he shared eighth place with a 2-under par 214 (66-76-72).
From the 18th Green – Recapping Liberty’s Last Time Out
- Liberty is coming off a ninth place showing at the General Hackler Championship, March 13-14, at The Dunes Golf & Beach Club (par 72, 7,233 yards) in Myrtle Beach, S.C.
- Liberty carded a 6-over par 870 (292-287-291) at the Coastal Carolina hosted event.
- Kieran Vincent individually paced the way for the Flames by finishing tied ninth place with a 5-under par 211 (71-70-70).
- Vincent’s ninth-place showing accounted for his 23rd career top-10 finish.
- Following the event, Vincent was named the ASUN Men’s Golfer of the Week.
Birdies and Bogeys – Liberty Team Notes
- Liberty enters The Hayt ranked No. 43 in the latest Golfstat team rankings.
- Kieran Vincent individually ranks No. 56 in the country in the latest Golfstat rankings.
- Vincent has posted 23 career top-10 finishes during his career at Liberty, which ranks second to Liberty Athletics Hall of Famer Robert Karlsson (31 – 2009-12).
- Austin Duncan rank No. 52 in the country in pars per round (11.90) and is second on Liberty’s roster with a 72.05 scoring average.
- The Flames finished their fall season ranked No. 22 in the Golfweek Men’s Golf Team Rankings, No. 24 in the Bushnell/Golfweek Division I Coaches Poll and No. 26 in the Golfstat team rankings
- Liberty finished the fall season with a 288.33 team stroke average, the fourth-best mark in program history.
- Liberty entered the spring season looking to defend its ASUN Championship with the 2022 conference championship set for April 24-26 at the University of Georgia Golf Course in Athens, Ga.
- The Flames have advanced to the NCAA Regionals nine of the last 10 regional events and to the NCAA Men’s Golf Championship three times in program history (2012, 2019 and 2021).
Looking at the Latest Rankings:
Arkansas State (No. 95)
Charlotte (No. 39)
Coastal Carolina (No. 134)
FGCU (No. 58)
Georgia Southern (No. 45)
Jacksonville (No. 92)
Liberty (No. 43)
Louisville (No. 37)
LSU (No. 25)
Navy (No. 215)
North Florida (No. 38)
North Texas (No. 84)
Tennessee (No. 19)
UAB (No. 40)
UCF (No. 69)
Note: Golfstat national rankings (as of March 22)
- Sawgrass Country Club (Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla.)
- Par 72, 6,966 yards
Following the Flames at The Hayt:
- Live stats will be available at Golfstat.com
- Twitter @LibertyGolf
- Instagram @LibertyGolf
- Round 1 Tee Time: Sunday at 7:45 a.m./EST (Modified Shotgun Start)