FGCU Snaps Liberty’s Four-Match Winning Streak With 4-3 Win
FGCU snapped Liberty’s four-match winning streak with a come-from-behind 4-3 win, Sunday at the FGCU Tennis Complex.
The Eagles improve to 9-5 overall and 2-0 in the ASUN. The Lady Flames drop to 12-5 on the season and 1-1 in ASUN matches. Liberty entered the weekend riding a four-match winning streak and having won 10 of its last 11 contests.
Thoughts From Head Coach Jeff Maren
“This was a hard-fought contest between two evenly-matched teams. These types of competitions come down to a handful of key points, and we didn’t win enough of them. Hopefully this will motivate us to continue to grow. To God be the glory!”
FGCU 4, Liberty 3
- M. Juliana P. Romero (LIBERTYW) def. BARDET, Emma (FGCUW) 6-2, 6-3
- COLMENARES, Isabella (FGCUW) def. Alexandra Almborg (LIBERTYW) 6-2, 6-7 (5-7), retired
- Kalani Soli (LIBERTYW) def. FERDING, Ida (FGCUW) 6-3, 6-4
- NORIN, Fanny (FGCUW) def. Eloise Saraty (LIBERTYW) 6-1, 6-3
- Esther Lovato (LIBERTYW) def. OSSA, Jordana (FGCUW) 6-1, 6-1
- RETORTILLO, Alba (FGCUW) def. Tiffany Nguyen (LIBERTYW) 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
- FERDING, Ida/BARDET, Emma (FGCUW) def. M. Juliana P. Romero/Tiffany Nguyen (LIBERTYW) 6-2
- Willa Rogers/Eloise Saraty (LIBERTYW) def. COLMENARES, Isabella/RETORTILLO, Alba (FGCUW) 6-2
- OSSA, Jordana/NORIN, Fanny (FGCUW) def. Esther Lovato/Kalani Soli (LIBERTYW) 6-3
Liberty 12-5, 1-1 ASUN
FGCU 9-5, 2-0 ASUN
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (5,4,3,1,2,6)
How It Happened
• The match began with the singles session, followed by doubles play. Liberty led 3-1 in the match, but FGCU won the final two singles matches to force the doubles session. The Eagles won two of the three doubles contest to win 4-3.
• Liberty’s singles victories came from its No. 5, No. 3 and No. 1 players. The Lady Flames’ Esther Lovato (No. 5) bested Jordana Ossa in straight sets (6-1, 6-1) for the first point of the day. Lovato has won 10 straight singles matches and leads Liberty with 12 singles triumphs, this spring.
• Fanny Norin of FGCU defeated Eloise Saraty, 6-1, 6-3 for the hosts’ first point.
• Appearing in her first singles match since Jan. 29, Soli of Liberty closed out a 6-3, 6-4 result versus Ida Ferding on court three. Liberty saw its lead grow to 3-1 after freshman Maria Juliana Parra Romero knocked off Emma Bardet on court one, 6-2, 6-3. Parra Romero’s victory gives her 20 wins during the 2021-22 campaign and bolsters her spring mark to 9-2 (5-1 at No. 1).
• In the No. 2 singles match between Isabella Colmenares (FGCU) and Alexandra Almborg (Liberty), the two players traded sets before Almborg retired after the second set. Colmenares won the match 6-2, 6-7 (5), retired.
• The Eagles’ Alba Retortillo came back to defeat Tiffany Nguyen in three sets on court six, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4. Retortillo’s victory sent the two teams to doubles tied at 3-all.
• Liberty falls to 0-5 all-time against FGCU. Four of those five losses have come by a 4-3 score.
• This is only Liberty’s second ASUN regular season loss all-time. The Lady Flames are 13-2 in ASUN regular season matches since entering the league prior to the 2018-19 school year. Their only other ASUN loss also came at FGCU by a 4-3 score (March 17, 2019).
• Today’s setback was Liberty’s second in its last 12 matches.
• Liberty will welcome ASUN newcomer Jacksonville State (5-7, 0-0 ASUN) to Lynchburg, Friday for its ASUN home opener. Match time is 11 a.m. at the Liberty Tennis Complex.
• This will be the first meeting between the two schools.