Delaite’s Complete Game Propels Liberty Past North Alabama 4-0
Left-hander Trevor Delaite pitched a one-hit, complete game shutout to lead the Liberty Flames past the North Alabama Lions 4-0, Friday afternoon in an ASUN Conference play at Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium.
Delaite, 2-1, shut down North Alabama, giving up just one hit over nine innings. He struck out five and walked two. The senior allowed four baserunners and did not allow a runner past second base in his first ever start at Liberty Baseball Stadium.
Liberty third baseman Trey McDyre had a game-high three hits, driving in two runs and scoring one.
After a pitchers' duel through the first five innings, the host Flames scored all the runs Delaite needed on the afternoon, pushing across three runs in the bottom of the sixth.
Liberty extends its winning streak to six games. The Flames move 1-0 in the ASUN and 8-5 overall. North Alabama drops to 0-1 in the ASUN and 1-10 overall.
Box Score Highlights
Records: North Alabama (1-10, 0-1 ASUN); Liberty (8-5, 1-0 ASUN)
Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium)
WP: Trevor Delaite (2-1) | LP: Hunter Davidson (0-1)
LIBERTY – 6th INNING – McDyre doubles, Gulakowski and Mathieu scores, 2-0
LIBERTY – 6th INNING – Betts singles, McDyre scores, 3-0
LIBERTY – 8th INNING – Baughman singles, Locklear scores, 4-0
- Liberty outhit North Alabama in the contest, 12-1. Each team committed an error.
- The Flames left 10 men on base. The Lions left three.
- Logan Mathieu and Gray Betts each had two hits in the contest for Liberty. Mathieu scored a run, while Betts collected an RBI.
A scoreless pitchers' duel through the first five innings, McDyre gave the Flames a lead in the sixth. With runners on second and third and one out, McDyre lined a double down the left field line to plate both baserunners for a 2-0 Liberty advantage. Later in the inning, a two-out single by Betts scored McDyre for a 3-0 lead.
Beyond the Box Score
- The contest was the first ASUN Conference game for Liberty and North Alabama, this season.
- Liberty moves to 3-0 at Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium in 2021.
- Delaite's complete game is the first complete game by a Liberty pitcher since Caleb Evans went the distance in an 11- win over High Point on March 17, 2017 at Liberty Baseball Stadium.
- McDyre collects his second multi-hit game of the year and the fourth three-hit game by a Liberty player in 2021.
- With two hits in the contest, Betts now leads the Flames with five multi-hit games.
- Liberty second baseman Will Wagner doubled and was hit by a pitch in the contest. Wagner has hit. 545 (6-for-11) and posted a .615 on base percentage over the last three games.
Liberty and North Alabama will meet again in the middle contest of their three-game series, tomorrow. First pitch at Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium is scheduled for 2 p.m.