Coppin State Edges Liberty 3-1
Liberty bounced back from a 2-0 deficit to force a fourth set, but Coppin State downed the Lady Flames 3-1 (26-24, 25-20, 18-25, 25-16) on Saturday at Liberty Arena.
The Eagles improve to 8-6 on the season, extending their winning streak to six matches. Coppin State won this weekend’s tournament, going 3-0 against Eastern Michigan, Liberty and Radford. The Lady Flames fall to 6-5, including 1-1 this weekend.
• Liberty outhit CSU .204-.193 for the match. However, the Eagles recorded 13 service aces compared to six for the Lady Flames.
• Miajavon Coleman and Ammaarah Williams tied for the match high with 11 kills each, while Coleman added 12 digs. Ashley Roman collected a match-high 20 digs, while Andrea Tsvetanova totaled 39 assists, four aces and three blocks.
• Kate Phillips and Trinity Watts scored 10 kills apiece for the Lady Flames, while Amelia Preston scored seven kills. Watts added three aces and five blocks, while Delaney Dilfer dished out 37 assists and Erica Lowery collected 14 digs.
• Coppin State won a tight first set, 26-24, and then ended on set two on a 9-0 run, turning a 20-16 deficit into a 25-20 win.
• The Lady Flames responded in the third set, hitting .306 while winning 25-18. However, the Eagles put the match away with a 25-16 set-four win.
• This was the first-ever meeting between Liberty and Coppin State in volleyball.
• Liberty saw its four-match home winning streak snapped.
• Today marked just the second time in 11 matches this season (also vs. Winthrop, Sept. 2) that Liberty’s opponent won the first set.
• Watts has scored double-figures in kills in each of Liberty’s last nine matches. That is the longest streak of 10-kill matches for a Lady Flame since Hannah Weidner scored double digits in kills in 19 straight matches, Sept. 6 through Oct. 18, 2014.
• Rajini Fitzmaurice, making her first start since Nov. 18, 2021 at FGCU, collected 11 digs. Amelia Preston, starting for the first time since Dec. 10, 2019, sent down seven kills.