Central Arkansas Defeats Liberty 3-1
The Central Arkansas Bears topped the Liberty Flames 3-1 in an ASUN soccer match, Saturday at the Bill Stephens Track/Soccer Complex.
After the visiting Flames tied the game at 1-1 off a corner kick midway through the first half, the Bears scored on a breakaway late in the half to take a one-goal lead intermission and went on to take the first ever meeting between the two teams.
Midfielder Luke Eberle netted his third goal of the season during the 23rd minute for Liberty.
The Flames fall to 2-4 in ASUN play and 6-8 overall. The ASUN-leading Bears moved to 5-1 in conference and 10-4 overall.
3’ – UCA – Rubyn Gill (Assisted by Katsuyoshi Kimishima)
23’ – LIBERTY – Luke Eberle (Assisted by Marko Mitrevski)
40’ – UCA – Jonathan Randall (Assisted by Rubyn Gill and Ole Kjoerholt)
69’ – UCA – Alberto Suarez (Assisted by Daniel Shabani)
After the game was delay in the 50th minute when a light went out, Liberty came out and quickly pressured the Central Arkansas defense. The Bears were forced to fend off four consecutive corner kicks by the Flames from the 52nd through 55th minute. Shortly after, two shots by Eberle were saved by Central Arkansas defenders to keep Liberty from tying the game during the 56th minute.
Key Stats & Notes
- Central Arkansas edged Liberty, 14-13, in shots during the match. The Bears had seven shots on goals. The Flames had six.
- Liberty held a 12-6 advantage over Central Arkansas in corner kicks. The Flames’ goal in the contest came off a corner kick.
- The match was delayed during the 50th minute when a one of the lights at Bill Stephens Track/Soccer Complex went out.
- Midfielder Marko Mitrevski assisted on Eberle’s goal. It was the midfielder’s second assist of the season.
- Eberle led the Flames with four shots, all on goal. Forward Gabe Findley had three shots for Liberty.
- Liberty goalkeeper Danny Cordero made four saves in the contest. UCA goalkeeper Zach Schawl recorded three saves. The Bears also had two team saves.
- Before tonight’s match, Liberty and Central Arkansas had never met on the soccer pitch.
Liberty finishes its regular season schedule, next Saturday. The Flames will host the North Florida Ospreys in an ASUN Conference match at Osborne Stadium. Match time is scheduled for 6 p.m. Before the game, the Flames will hold their Senior Night activities.