Bellarmine Tops Liberty 2-1
The Bellarmine Knights jumped out to a 2-0 advantage and then held off the Liberty Flames for a 2-1 victory in an ASUN Conference match, Saturday evening at Owsley B. Frazier Stadium.
Despite the Flames carrying play during the first half, it was the Knights who came away with a 1-0 lead at halftime, scoring off a free kick during the final minutes of the half. Bellarmine then took a 2-0 advantage on a goal by Micah Linscott early in the second half.
Liberty cut its deficit to one on a goal by Noah Holmes but was unable to find the equalizer against the Bellarmine, which entered the games allowing the fewest goals in the ASUN Conference, late in the contest.
The Flames drop to 2-3 in the ASUN Conference and 6-6 overall. The Knights move to 2-3 in conference and 6-5-1 overall.
44’ – BELL – Brock Pope (Assisted by Greg Fischer)
53’ – BELL – Micah Linscott (Assisted by Nolan McGrath)
59’ – LIBERTY – Noah Holmes (Assisted by Seth Clark)
Key Stats & Notes
- Liberty held an 11-8 advantage in shots, including a 6-2 edge in the first half. Bellarmine held a 4-3 edge in shots on goal.
- The Flames had six corner kicks in the contest. The Knights had three corner kicks.
- Holmes scores his team-leading sixth goal of the season in the match. He also leads the Flames with 13 points.
- Midfielder Marko Mitrevski led the Flames with three shots, including one which went off the post in the first half. Linscott led the Knights with three shots, all in the second half.
- Liberty goalkeeper Danny Cordero recorded two saves. Bellarmine goalkeeper Connor Range also made two saves.
- Bellarmine has won both meetings between the two teams at Owsley B. Frazier Stadium.
Liberty returns home to Osborne Stadium for a non-conference match on Tuesday evening. The Flames will host the Longwood Lancers. Kickoff is scheduled for 6 p.m.