Flames Win All 7 Singles Matches Versus Owls at Penn Invite
The Liberty Flames men’s tennis team swept the seven singles matches from the Temple Owls, Saturday at the Penn Invite.
Through two days of the event, Liberty is a combined 13-2 in singles play and 4-3 in doubles competition at the Hamlin Tennis Center, Penn’s home facility.
Thoughts From Head Coach Derek Schwandt
“The guys competed great in singles today. It’s a lot of fun to come out playing with purpose. We are excited for the challenge coming up tomorrow morning vs. Penn.
Key Stats & Notes
• Five Flames improved to 2-0 in singles on the weekend with their Saturday victories – Rafael Marques Da Silva, Beau Pelletier, Zion Heaven, Deji Thomas-Smith and Thando Longwe-Smit.
• Pelletier, playing in his first tournament for the Flames, topped Thibault Frumholz of Temple today 7-5, 6-1.
• Marques Da Silva topped Leo Raquin today in three sets, doing so in comeback fashion (5-7, 6-3, 6-4).
• Other singles victories today came from Heaven, Thomas-Smith and Longwe-Smit. Heaven topped Hussein El Tawil 6-4, 6-2, while Thomas-Smith knocked off Joao Alberto Blumenschein in two sets as well, 6-3, 6-4. Finally, Longwe-Smit defeated Henrique Petiz 6-4, 6-2.
• Liberty’s lone team to win in doubles today was Josh Wilson and Christiaan Worst, who edged the Owls’ Marin Delmas and Gregoire Barety 8-6. Wilson followed up his doubles triumph with a three-set win over Delmas, 6-4, 3-6, 6-4.
• Worst also won in singles this afternoon, knocking off Barety 6-4, 6-2. Wilson and Worst were the only two Flames to both win twice today.
Day three of the Penn Invitational will feature Liberty and host Penn. Match time is 10 a.m. at the Hamlin Tennis Center. The Flames hosted the Quakers at last year’s Liberty Fall Hidden Dual (Nov. 5-7, 2021).
10 a.m. – Liberty at Penn | Hamlin Tennis Center