No. 25 Liberty Continues Fall Slate at Maridoe Collegiate Invitational
No. 25 Liberty will continue its fall schedule this week when the Flames participate in the 2021 Maridoe Collegiate Invitational.
The three-day event is being hosted at Maridoe Golf Club (par 72, 7,351 yards) in Carrollton, Texas. The North Texas hosted event gets underway on Monday morning.
In addition to live stat coverage provided by Golfstat.com, the Golf Channel will be broadcasting live from 4 to 7 p.m. EST each day of the invitational.
Liberty’s first round gets underway on Monday at Noon EST with the Flames heading off the No. 1 tee along with Baylor and SMU.
Now on The Tee – Liberty’s Starting Five (2021-22 Stroke Average)
- Connor Polender (70.33)
- Austin Duncan (70.67)
- Kieran Vincent (71.00)
- Jonathan Yaun (73.00)
- Austin Barbin – N/A (first event of the year)
Tournament Reflections – Liberty’s Previous Showing at the Maridoe Collegiate Intercollegiate
- This is the first time the Flames have ever competed in this North Texas hosted event.
- The tournament is hosted at the Maridoe Golf Club, which originally opened in 1952 and underwent a complete renovation in 2017.
- The Maridoe Golf Club is the future host site of the 2021 USGA Women’s Amateur Four-Ball Championship.
- Maridoe Collegiate Invitational is the first of two new events on Liberty’s fall schedule.
- The Flames will wrap up their three-tournament schedule on Oct. 4-5 when they participate in the Hamptons Intercollegiate, hosted by Loyola at Maidstone Club in East Hampton, N.Y.
From the 18th Green – Recapping Liberty’s Last Time Out
- Liberty opened its 2021-22 season with a sixth-place showing at the Marquette Intercollegiate at Erin Hills Golf Course in Erin, Wis., Sept. 5-7.
- The Flames finished the event firing a 11-under par 853 (287-273-293) at the same course where the 2017 U.S Open was hosted and won by Brooks Koepka.
- Liberty carded a 15-under par 273 during the second round of the championship, which is tied for the fifth-best 18-hole total in program history.
- Conor Polender paced the way for the Flames, finishing tied for 12th place with a 5-under par 211 (70-71-70).
- Polender was named the ASUN Men’s Golfer of the Week following the 12th-place showing, his second career top-20 finish.
Birdies and Bogeys – Liberty Team Notes
- The Flames are coming off one of the most historic seasons in program history.
- Liberty was consistently ranked inside the top-25 Golfstat national rankings throughout the spring season, reaching a program best No. 13 ranking on April 14.
- Liberty finished the year ranked No. 24 in the final Golfstat national rankings and No. 19 in the Golfweek national rankings.
- Liberty enters the 2021-22 season ranked No. 25 in the Bushnell/Golfweek Preseason Coaches Poll.
- The Flames return a pair of All-Americans from their 2020-21 lineup to lead Liberty during the 2021-22 season.
- Kieran Vincent, a 2021 Golfweek All-America third team selection, finished the 2020-21 season with a 70.48 stroke average, setting a new school record (previous record: Jonathan Yaun – 70.78 set in 2019-20).
- Yaun, who earned 2020 GCAA/Ping All-America honors, ranked second on Liberty’s roster with a 71.59 season stroke average, that included three top-10 finishes.
Looking at the Latest Rankings:
Arizona State (No. 3)
Liberty (No. 25)
Oklahoma (No. 7)
SMU (No. 21)
Texas (No. 5)
Texas A&M (No. 16)
Texas Tech (No. 9)
Wake Forest (No. 8)
Note: 2021 Preseason Division I Bushnell Golfweek Coaches poll
- Maridoe Golf Club (Carrollton, Texas)
- Par 72, 7,351 yards
Following the Flames at Maridoe Collegiate Invitational:
- Live stats will be available at Golfstat.com
- Twitter @LibertyGolf
- Instagram @LibertyGolf
- Round 1 Tee Time: Monday at 12:00 p.m./EST (off No. 1 tee)