To be eligible to try out as a walk-on student-athlete, a student must be a full-time student at Liberty University and be enrolled in at least 12 hours of undergraduate work or nine hours of graduate work.
a. Freshmen: Meet NCAA initial eligibility standards (visit www.eligibilitycenter.com for more details)
b. Sophomores: Have passed 24 hours with a 1.8 GPA
c. Juniors: Have passed 48 degree applicable hours with a 1.9 GPA
d. Seniors: Have passed 72 degree applicable hours with a 2.0 GPA
In order to participate in a tryout for a varsity athletics team at Liberty University, a prospective student-athlete must have and present ALL of the following information prior to the tryout:
1. Complete the Walk-On Try-Out Form (Form A) and bring it to the tryout. (If you are having trouble accessing this form or any other form, please try opening the form in Internet Explorer.)
2. A pre-participation physical examination completed within 6 months of the date of tryout. The physical exam must clear the prospective student-athlete to fully participate in athletics and must be performed by a licensed physician. If you choose to complete the physical examination somewhere other than Health Services, your physician MUST complete and sign the Liberty University Pre-Participation Physical Evaluation Form (Form B). *It is recommended that the physical exam, when possible, be performed at the Liberty University Health Services because once a walk-on candidate is chosen to be a member of the team they will need to have a physical performed by a Liberty University Team Physician (see below).
3. Official results of a blood test for sickle cell trait and sickle cell disease (Per NCAA Mandate beginning August 1, 2010). Most people will have had this test performed at birth, so the results of the test will need to be obtained and presented at the time of tryout along with the physical. Those unable to obtain these records will need to have the test performed prior to the tryout. To obtain a test consult your local physician or health department. Those students who obtain their physical through the Liberty University Health Services can be tested. RESULTS OF THE TEST CAN TAKE A FEW DAYS TO COME BACK SO PLAN AHEAD. You should plan to have your physical at least 1 week in advance of your tryout.
4. Complete the Walk-On Liability/Waiver Form (Form C). If you are a minor you must have the signature of a parent or guardian to try-out for a team.
5. Proof of valid health insurance that covers athletic injuries. Deductibles must be no more than $5,000.00 and all policies must have out of network benefits including HMO’s and PPO’s. Member shared insurances are NOT accepted, i.e. Medishare, etc. A copy of the front and back of the insurance card must be presented at the time of tryout. If a prospective walk-on athlete does not have valid health insurance that covers athletic injuries, he or she will not be able to participate until they have done so. Please make arrangements to have copies of your insurance card made ahead of time as the Sports Medicine Staff will not be available to do so.
If a prospective student-athlete does not have ALL of the information listed above prior to the tryout, they will not be allowed to participate. THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS.
Please remember that once you make the team you will be required to obtain a physical from Health Services at your expense if you have not already done so.
In order to participate in any walk-on try-out, you must complete and meet each of the five requirements listed above.
If you are selected to join the team you will need to complete the following:
1. Register with the NCAA Eligibility Center to have your academic and amateur status verified. The cost to register is $50 for US citizens and $75 for all others. If you are in your first year as a full time college student, you will also need to pay to have test scores from either SAT or ACT (approximate cost of $20) sent to the Eligibility Center as well as high school transcripts.
2. If the physical used for tryout was not done with Health Services, a second physical done by a Health Services Physician will need to be performed. This will be scheduled by the Athletics Training Staff.
If you have any additional questions please contact a member of the coaching staff.
Field Hockey - Nikki Parsley-Blocker - Phone: (434) 582-2393
Football - Jovon Hubbard - Phone: (434) 582-2050
• Additional Football Only Walk-On requirements:
• Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, football walk-on tryouts are on hold. Please continue to check back for further updates
• All paperwork must be completed and returned by TBA No Expections
• Must have a 2.5 GPA or above
• Must register with the NCAA Eligibility Center
• All interested in participating, must contact Jovon Hubbard (email@example.com)
Men's Basketball - Rebekah Ray - Phone: (434) 582-2337
Men's Golf - Jeff Thomas - Phone: (434) 582-7448
Men's Soccer - Kelly Findley - Phone: (434) 582-2600
Men's Tennis - Derek Schwandt - Phone: (434) 582-2409
Softball - Kasey Fagan - Phone: (434) 582-7255
Track & Field/Cross Country (Men's and Women's) - Jaiden Brandt - Phone: (434) 582-2135
Women's Basketball - Andy Bloodworth - Phone: (434) 582-2012
Women's Lacrosse - Kelly Nangle - Phone: (434) 582-2564
Women's Soccer - Lang Wedemeyer - Phone: (434) 582-2389
Women's Swimming - Jake Shellenberger - Phone: (434) 582-2387
Women's Tennis - Jeff Maren - Phone: (434) 592-6259
Volleyball - Brett Anema - Phone: (434) 582-2711