Top Plays Coach Green Postgame Press Conference Emily Lytle Postgame Press Conference Leading Stetson by only two points at halftime of Saturday's matinee, Liberty outscored the Hatters 22-8 over the first 7:15 of the third quarter to break the game open. The Lady Flames went on to close out a 73-53 victory during the next-to-last regular-season game at the Vines Center, successfully completing a season sweep of the Hatters.
Liberty improves to 15-11 overall and 8-5 in the ASUN with its third consecutive victory. The junior trio of Emily Lytle (20 points), Keyen Green (19) and Ashtyn Baker (16) combined for 55 points as the Lady Flames moved into a second-place tie in the conference standings, along with Jacksonville and North Alabama.
Stetson falls to 11-15 and 5-8 in conference play despite a game-high 25-point effort from Day'Neshia Banks. In a battle between the ASUN's top two rebounding squads, the Hatters were outrebounded 39-24, including 22-9 after halftime.
Box Score Highlights Liberty Individuals: Emily Lytle – 20 points, 5 rebounds, 4-7 3FG; Keyen Green – 19 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists; Ashtyn Baker – 16 points, 6 assists, 5 rebounds; Mya McMillian – 6 points, 7 rebounds.
Stetson Individuals: Day'Neshia Banks – 25 points, 11-18 FG; Kimia Carter – 8 points.
Key Team Stats: Liberty shot the ball well from the field (47.3 percent, 26-of-56), three-point range (47.1 percent, 8-of-17) and the foul line (86.7 percent, 13-of-15). The Lady Flames converted 10 offensive rebounds into 17 second-chance points. Liberty finished with more assists (15) than turnovers (11) for the third time in the last five games.
Turning Point Green had a hand in Liberty's first 15 points of the second half, helping extend the Lady Flames' lead from 31-29 at the intermission to 46-37.
The redshirt junior post player scored the team's first nine points of the third quarter before assisting on back-to-back triples by Baker and Lytle. Lytle added one more triple a minute later and Liberty led by double digits for the remainder of the contest.
Game Summary First Quarter • Liberty raced out to a 7-0 lead during the game's first two minutes and built the advantage as large as 15 points before taking a 21-8 cushion into the second quarter. The Lady Flames shot 57.1 percent (8-of-14) from the field during the opening 10 minutes.
Second Quarter • Day'Neshia Banks scored 11 of Stetson's first 13 points of the afternoon, including her team's first five tallies of the second period, helping to keep the Hatters close.
• Stetson later finished the opening half on a 10-2 run, cutting its halftime deficit to 31-29 on Tippy Robertson's three-pointer during the closing seconds.
Third Quarter • Liberty outscored Stetson 24-11 during the pivotal third quarter, with Green, Lytle and Baker tallying all of the team's points. The Lady Flames shot 60 percent (9-of-15) from the field and from three-point range (9-of-15) for the period.
Fourth Quarter • Asia Todd knocked down a pair of three-pointers during the final stanza and Liberty notched eight second-chance points to wrap up the victory.
Notes and Nuggets • Lytle's 20 points matched her season high. She has posted a pair of 20-point games this season and eight for her career.
• Lytle's four triples boosted her career total to 106. She is now tied with Daina Staugaitiene for eighth place on Liberty's career list during her second season in a Lady Flames uniform.
• Green tallied 15 of her 19 points after halftime, scoring in double figures for the 11th time in 13 ASUN games. She climbed into 12th place on Liberty's all-time scoring list with 1,156 career points.
• Green also equaled her career high with four assists.
• Baker dished out six assists for the third consecutive game while finishing with only one turnover. She has totaled 18 assists and eight turnovers during the team's three-game winning streak.
• The Lady Flames' 20-point win marked their largest margin of victory in a conference game since joining the ASUN Conference last season.
• Liberty recorded its first-ever home win over Stetson, as the Hatters had defeated the Lady Flames during two previous visits to the Vines Center.
• With the Vines Center era coming to a close, Liberty welcomed back a number of alumni. Six of the Lady Flames' 16 1,000-point scorers were in the building for Saturday's victory.
• Liberty improved to 4-2 this February and 136-21 during the month under Carey Green.
Up Next Liberty will host North Florida (14-13, 7-7 ASUN) for the Lady Flames' final regular-season game at the Vines Center, Monday at 7 p.m. The Lady Flames will look to even the season series with the Ospreys after falling 65-50 at North Florida on Jan. 27.
The game will serve as Senior Night for the Lady Flames, and the duo of Keyen Green and Kierra Johnson-Graham will be honored prior to tipoff.
Date: Monday, February 24, 2020 Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Vines Center) TV: ESPN+ Radio: LFSN Radio (90.9 FM The Light Lynchburg) Tipoff: 7 p.m.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram