Gaby Ruiz went 1-for-3 on Sunday.
Liberty's challenging early-season schedule continued today, as the Lady Flames fell 7-1 to No. 3 Florida State in their final game at the St. Pete/Clearwater Elite Invitational.
FSU (7-3) had lost its first three games at this weekend's invitational prior to today's victory over the Lady Flames. Liberty falls to 1-9 on the season against a schedule that has included eight Top 25 teams.
All five of Liberty's opponents this weekend appeared in the Top 10 in at least one national poll, last Monday.
Scoring Summary FSU – 1st INNING – Davis homers, Sherrill scores, 2-0
FSU – 1st INNING – Noah singles, Flaherty advances to third, Morgan scores, 3-0
FSU – 1st INNING – Noah steals second, Flaherty scores on error, 4-0
FSU – 2nd INNING – Sherrill reaches on fielder's choice, Landers scores, 5-0
Liberty – 4th INNING – Sweat homers, 5-1
FSU – 4th INNING – Davis singles, Culp advances, Sherrill scores, 6-1
FSU – 4th INNING – Morgan flies out to right, sacrifice fly, Davis advances, Culp scores, 7-1
Notable Numbers - FSU led 8-5 in hits, while Liberty committed two errors compared to one for the Seminoles.
- Caylan Arnold (2-1) earned the complete-game victory, allowing one run on five hits and striking out two. - Emily Kirby (0-2) drew the loss, yielding seven runs (five earned) on seven hits, walking three and fanning two in 3 1/3 innings pitched. Karlie Keeney allowed just one hit in 2 2/3 innings of relief, striking out four batters. Keeney started at the DP, going hitless in her first three career at bats. - Cassidy Davis led the Seminoles with a 3-for-4 game, hitting a double and a homer while driving in three and scoring once.
- Emily Sweat went 2-for-3 with a double, homer, one RBI and one run scored. Autumn Bishop, Kara Canetto and Gaby Ruiz all batted 1-for-3.
Turning Point - Florida State scored four times in the first, an inning that was extended by errors. Liberty scored its lone run when Sweat led off the fourth with a solo homer to center.
- FSU quickly responded with a pair of runs in the bottom of the fourth to extend the lead to 7-1.
Beyond the Box Score - Florida State now leads the all-time series, 2-0, as these two teams last met March 6, 2009. - The Lady Flames are now 1-7 against nationally-ranked teams this season, as they have only faced two unranked opponents (at time of meeting) in 2020. Liberty met seven Top 25 teams all of last season combined.
- Liberty took on the last two national champions in back-to-back games, facing UCLA yesterday before taking on Florida State today. This is the first time since 2017 (Arkansas vs. Florida, Oklahoma) that a team has faced the last two national champions in back-to-back games.
- Autumn Bishop bunted for a base hit to lead off the game. It was her 200th career hit, making her the 10th Lady Flame all-time to record 200 or more career hits. She is also the seventh Liberty player with 200 or more hits, 100 or more runs and 100 or more RBI.
- Sweat is the first Lady Flame this season to hit two extra-base hits in the same game. Her fourth-inning homer was the second of her career and first since March 29, 2017 at N.C. State.
Up Next Liberty will next compete in the Gamecock Invitational, held Friday through Sunday at Carolina Softball Stadium at Beckham Field in Columbia, S.C. The Lady Flames will open the tournament a 10 a.m. on Friday against Michigan.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram