Autumn Bishop got Liberty on the board with a two-out RBI triple against Ole Miss.
Liberty came back from a 2-0 deficit, scoring three times in the third and once in the fifth to upset No. 21 Ole Miss 4-2, Sunday at Eddie C. Moore Complex.
The Lady Flames (1-4) earned their first win of the season at this weekend's NFCA Division I Leadoff Classic while the Rebels remain in search of their first win at 0-5.
Liberty picked up its 10th win over a nationally-ranked opponent in program history and fourth in the last three years. The Lady Flames' last win over a Top 25 team was Feb. 15, 2019, when they defeated then No. 19 Texas A&M 4-2 in College Station, Texas. Liberty's Denay Griffin was named to the NFCA Division I Leadoff Classic All-Tournament Team. She batted 4-for-8 with a double, two homers and six RBI's during the tournament.
Scoring Summary OLE MISS – 1st INNING – Alvarez singles to center, Puk and Latham advance, Allee scores, 1-0
OLE MISS – 1st INNING – Smith reaches on fielder's choice, Loftin out at second, Puk advances, Latham scores, 2-0
LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Autumn Bishop triples, Via scores, 2-1
LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Amber Bishop singles, Autumn Bishop scores, 2-2
LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Canetto doubles, Amber Bishop scores, 3-2
LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Ruiz singles, Griffin advances to second, Murray scores
Notable Numbers - Ole Miss outhit Liberty 10-6. The Rebels left eight on base, compared to six stranded for the Lady Flames. - Karlie Keeney earned her first career victory, allowing two runs on eight hits, striking out one and walking one in the complete-game victory. She is the first Liberty pitcher to go the distance in a game this season. - Ole Miss starter Savannah Diederich (0-2) drew the loss, giving up three runs on four hits in 2 2/3 innings pitched. Molly Jacobsen allowed one run on four hits, striking out two and walking one in 3 1/3 innings pitched. - Amber Bishop batted 2-for-3 for with one RBI and one run scored, while Kara Canetto (RBI double), Autumn Bishop (RBI triple) and Gaby Ruiz (RBI single) all had one RBI hit apiece.
- For Ole Miss, who recorded 10 hits, all singles, Abby Latham and Amanda Roth had two hits apiece.
Turning Point - The Rebels put together four straight one-out hits in the first inning, taking a 2-0 lead. That was all the scoring they would get, as Keeney shut out Ole Miss for the final 6 1/3 innings.
- Blake Gibson led off the bottom of the third with a single. After two outs, Autumn Bishop drove her in with a triple. Amber Bishop followed with an RBI single, ad Canetto's double put Liberty in the lead. Two innings later, Ruiz' first career hit pushed Liberty's lead to 4-2.
Beyond the Box Score - Liberty is now 1-2 this season against Top 25 opponents, and 10-68 all-time against nationally-ranked opponents. - The Lady Flames evened the all-time series with Ole Miss, as the Rebels defeated Liberty 5-1 on Feb. 8, 2014. That game was Dot Richardson's second game as a collegiate head coach.
- Keeney is the first Liberty freshman to earn a win over a Top 25 opponent since Sarah Ellis drew the winning decision in a 6-5 win over No. 24 Virginia Tech in four innings pitched on May 4, 2006.
- Autumn Bishop hit her sixth career triple. She is now tied with Sonja Keith (1996-99) for 10th in program history in career triples.
- Amber Bishop extended her hitting streak to seven games, dating to the end of last season. - All four of Liberty's runs were scored with two outs today. During the Lady Flames' first four games combined, Liberty had just one two-out RBI.
Up Next The Lady Flames remain in Clearwater for the next week, and will face Team USA in an exhibition game on Wednesday at 6 p.m. at the Eddie C. Moore Complex to start the St. Pete/Clearwater Elite Invitational.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram