Liberty freshman Maddie Freece finished ninth in three-meter diving on day two of the NCAA Division I Women's Diving Zone A Championships, Friday at the Greensboro Aquatic Center in Greensboro, N.C.
Freece placed ninth overall with a 12-dive combined score of 535.00, while junior Lauren Chennault finished 22nd with 223.30 points from prelims. Liberty's Top Performers • Fr. Maddie Freece – Three-meter diving (12) – 535.00 (13th place overall) • Jr. Lauren Chennault – Three-meter diving (6) – 223.30 (22nd place overall)
Notable • During this week's three-day meet, the top 18 from morning prelims each day qualify for evening finals. The top five combined scores from prelims and finals in three-meter diving qualified for the 2021 NCAA Division I Women's Swimming & Diving Championships.
• Today's event featured 26 divers, representing schools from Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland and Massachusetts.
• Jocelyn Porter of Virginia won the three-meter Zone Diving Championship, scoring 619.75 points. Pitt's Amy Read earned the fifth and final qualification for nationals with her score of 564.85.
• Freece finished morning prelims in ninth place with 271.50 points, and remained in ninth place at the end of finals.
Historically Speaking • Freece is the first Lady Flame to finish in the top 10 in an event at NCAA Zone Championships in program history.
• This was the first time in program history that a Liberty diver had qualified for finals at NCAA Zone Diving Championships on three-meter springboard.
• Freece is the fourth Liberty freshman in program history to compete in three-meter diving at NCAA Zone Championships, after Chennault, Abigail Egolf-Jensen and Olivia Robinson in 2019.
• This is the third straight NCAA postseason appearance for Liberty's divers.
Up Next Liberty will have one representative at the 2021 NCAA Division I Women's Swimming & Diving Championship, next Wednesday through Saturday at Greensboro Aquatic Center in Greensboro, N.C. Payton Keiner will compete in the 100 backstroke and 200 backstroke next week.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram