Liberty placed four players in double figures in kills on Tuesday night, downing the visiting Lipscomb Bisons 3-1 (25-18, 26-28, 25-20, 25-17) at the Vines Center.
Liberty (15-9, 8-4 ASUN) went 3-1 during its stretch of four matches in three states (New Jersey, Florida, Virginia) in the last seven days, capped by tonight's victory. Lipscomb falls to 11-11, 7-4 in ASUN play. These two teams split the season series, with each team winning on its home court.
Notable Numbers • Liberty held a .303-.105 advantage in hitting percentage for the match, also leading in blocks (13-8), digs (56-42) ad aces (4-2).
• Liberty'a Rajini Fitzmaurice (.440) and Amelia Johnson tied for the match high with 13 kills apiece. Anna Gragg hit .435 with 12 kills and added six blocks. Casey Goodwin posted 11 kills and five blocks, while Aspen Thompson recorded a career-high six blocks. Amaya Williams dished out 31 assists and Macy Phillips collected 17 digs. • Megan Kuper scored 11 kills to lead Lipscomb, while Morgan Elmoe dished out a match-high 40 assists and Alyssa Zwolensky collected a match-best 21 digs.
Head Coach Trevor Johnson "We are really proud of the effort and focus from our whole team! We were able to weather to storm and be resilient. To have four girls in double digit kills was a huge credit to our setters Amaya and Hannah. Rajini did some great things tonight offensively and from the service line. The crowd was awesome tonight. Thank you Flames Nation! See you guys again Sunday at 4 p.m.!"
Match Summary SET 1 • Liberty pulled away late to win set one 25-18. The Lady Flames outhit the Bisons .161 to -.050.
SET 2 • Set two saw 12 ties and four lead changes. Liberty was unable to cash in on set-point tries at 24-23, 25-24 and 26-25. Gish then scored two kills during a set-clinching three-point Lipscomb run.
SET 3 • Both teams found their stride on offense in the third, as Liberty hit .486 (19-2-35) and Lipscomb countered with a .323 (13-3-21) attach percentage. Fitzmaurice connected on six out of seven swings in the third, while Gragg went 5-for-6.
SET 4 • The Lady Flames led by just one at 16-15 in the fourth before ending the match on a 9-2 surge to win 25-17. Liberty registered 6.5 fourth-set blocks, as Lipscomb hit -.071.
Quick Hits • Liberty earned its first win over Lipscomb in volleyball, as the Bisons had won the previous three meetings.
• The Lady Flames are now 8-1 at home this season and have won 14 out of their last 15 home contests.
• Liberty reached 15 wins for the second year in a row, and made it to 15 victories in its 24th match. That is the team's fastest winning pace since starting the 2014 season at 15-5.
• Hannah Morris passes Julie Sitler (1985-88) into ninth place in program history with 2,068 career assists.
• Tonight was the second time this season that four Lady Flames reached double figures in kills in the same match. The last time was Sept. 21 against Northern Arizona, when Gragg, Kailey Macy, Johnson and Lilly Kruse all scored 10+ kills.
Up Next Liberty remains home and will host North Alabama on Sunday at 4 p.m. at the Vines Center.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram