Lipscomb won the first two sets by a combined five points before pulling away in set three, giving Liberty its first ASUN loss of the season, 3-0 (25-22, 25-23, 25-17) on Saturday at Allen Arena.
Lipscomb (6-9) evened its conference record, while the Lady Flames (11-6, 4-1) saw their six-match winning streak come to an end.
Notable Numbers • For the match, Liberty outhit Lipscomb .230-.190. The Lady Flames led in blocks (7-3), while the Bisons held the advantage in kills (44-35), aces (8-2) and digs (49-39).
• Logan Gish led Lipscomb with 11 kills, while Megan Kuper and Garrett Joiner both scored 10 kills. Morgan Elmore dished out a match-high 39 assists, while Alyssa Zwolensky collected a match-high 20 digs.
• Liberty's Amelia Johnson led all players with 17 kills, while Kailey Macy posted a match-high four blocks. Hannah Morris dished out 14 assists and Macy Phillips collected 10 digs.
Head Coach Trevor Johnson "All glory to God. Lipscomb served really well and that affected our sideout percentage. We weren't able to get our middles going like we wanted to. This is a great learning experience for our girls and this will only make us stronger. We are trusting that this challenge is part of a bigger plan and that the best is yet to come."
Match Summary SET 1 • Liberty led the opening set 13-9 before the Bisons went on a 13-6 run to take the lead at 22-19. The Lady Flames fought to within one at 22-21, but the hosts closed out the set, 25-22 on Joiner's kill.
• The visitors hit .265 compared to .196 for the Bisons. Gish and Johnson both scored seven kills, while Macy assisted on all four of Liberty's blocks.
SET 2 • Liberty burst out of the gates, leading set two 19-11 after a kill by Gragg. However, the Bisons outscored the Lady Flames 14-4 from that point on, taking a 2-0 match lead by winning the second set 25-23.
• The Lady Flames outhit Lipscomb .147-.061 during the middle session. However, Liberty sustained five service errors in the set.
SET 3 • Lipscomb built a 19-11 lead in set three before Liberty went on a five-point run to narrow the gap to 19-16. That was as close as the Lady Flames would get, as the Bisons pulled away, 25-17.
Quick Hits • Lipscomb is now 3-0 all-time against Liberty in volleyball.
• This is the second straight year that Liberty has opened ASUN play at 4-1. Last year, the Lady Flames won their first four ASUN matches before falling to Lipscomb at home in five sets on Oct. 5, 2018.
• Johnson is the first Liberty player since Leah Clayton (seven matches, Oct. 8-25, 2016) to record five straight matches with 15 or more kills in each match.
Up Next Liberty will return home for a pair of conference matches next weekend. The Lady Flames welcome NJIT to the Vines Center on Friday at 5 p.m. before taking on Stetson at 1 p.m. on Sunday.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram