Macy Phillips recorded three aces and 12 digs on Friday at Florida.
Liberty and No. 11 Florida battled through a spirited first set, which the host Gators won 25-21 on the way to a 3-0 sweep (25-21, 25-17, 25-12) of the Lady Flames on Friday at Exactech Arena at Stephen C. O'Connell Center.
The 11th-ranked Gators (7-2) extended their winning streak to five matches, while the Lady Flames fell to 5-5 on the season. Liberty will take on Louisiana at 5 p.m. this afternoon to continue the Gators Invitational.
Notable Numbers • For the match, Florida outhit Liberty .398-.163. The Gators also held the advantage in blocks (9-5) and digs (33-29).
• Florida's Rachael Kramer scored a match-high 12 kills at a .750 pace, while Paige Hammons and Thayer Hall sent down 10 kills each. Marlie Monserez dished out a match-best 36 assists, while Allie Gregory collected 10 digs.
• Casey Goodwin led Liberty with 11 kills, while Amelia Johnson followed with eight kills. Hannah Morris dished out 27 assists while former Gator Macy Phillips led all players with three aces and 12 digs. Kailey Macy registered four blocks.
Head Coach Trevor Johnson "I loved our mindset going into set one and I really liked how we competed in that first set. Florida served very well and it kept us from running an effective offense. It was fun to see Macy play with such joy!"
Match Summary SET 1 • Liberty led set one 15-13 after Johnson's kill. However, the Gators scored the next six points to take a 19-15 lead. The Lady Flames battled back to within two points on three occasions late, including 23-21, before Florida converted on the next two serves for the 25-21 win.
• In the opening set, Florida outhit Liberty .393-.276. Florida's Hammons and Liberty's Rajini Fitzmaurice both scored five kills in the opening session.
SET 2 • The hosts hit .464 during a 25-17 set-two victory for the Gators that saw Goodwin lead all players with six kills.
SET 3 • Florida completed the sweep by claiming set three 25-12, outhitting Liberty .333-.074.
Quick Hits • Liberty junior libero Macy Phillips played against her former team today, as she played for Florida during the 2017 and 2018 seasons. A total of 14 players on Florida's current roster were teammates of Phillips' last year.
• Today was Liberty's first match against a nationally-ranked opponent since Sept. 7, 2013, when the Lady Flames fell 3-0 at No. 21 Kentucky.
• Liberty has faced four Power Five opponents for the second year in a row. This year, Liberty defeated Virginia and Virginia Tech before falling at Washington State and Florida.
• Florida improved to 2-0 all-time against Liberty in volleyball. The teams' last meeting before today was Dec. 2, 1999, a 3-0 Florida sweep to open the 1999 Division I Women's Volleyball Championship.
• Liberty's last two opponents (Washington State and Florida) both qualified for the Regional semifinal at the 2018 NCAA Division I Women's Volleyball Championship.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram