Casey Goodwin hit a career-high .688 in today's match.
Liberty hit a season-best .461 on the way to a home-opening 3-0 (25-12, 25-15, 25-12) victory over the visiting Elon Phoenix, Saturday at the Vines Center.
Liberty improved to 1-2 with the win, while Elon fell to 1-4. The Lady Flames take on Virginia Tech at 7 p.m. tonight in match five of the Liberty Invitational.
Notable Numbers • For the match, Liberty outhit Elon .461-.013. The Lady Flames also led in blocks (12.5-2.5) and digs (25-22)
• Liberty's Amelia Johnson led all players with 13 kills, hitting .565, while Casey Goodwin hit .688 with 12 kills. Anna Gragg posted a match-high five blocks, while Macy Phillips collected a match-best 14 digs and Hannah Morris dished out 31 assists.
• Jenn Krzeminski paced Elon with seven kills, while Kodi Garcia dished out a team-high 15 assists.
Head Coach Trevor Johnson "Good all-around team win today! We served and passed really well and that was the difference for us. Our setters did a nice job of keeping our hitters in rhythm."
Match Summary SET 1 • Liberty hit .393 during a 25-12 victory in set one, posting six blocks as a team.
• Johnson scored four kills and added four blocks in the set, while Gragg posted five blocks.
SET 2 • The Lady Flames raced to a 25-15 win in the third set, outhitting the Phoenix .385-.080.
• Goodwin (5-0-6) and Johnson (5-0-8) scored five kills each for Liberty, while Macy Phillips collected eight digs.
SET 3 • The hosts closed out the sweep, winning set three by a 25-12 score. Liberty hit .636 (15-1-22) in the third set. Rajini Fitzmaurice, Goodwin and Johnson all had four kills for the Lady Flames, while Elon's Krzeminski countered with four kills.
Quick Hits • Liberty has won its home opener 10 out of the last 11 seasons.
• The Lady Flames improve to 20-3 all-time against Elon in volleyball.
• Liberty boosted its home winning streak to seven matches, dating to last season.
• Liberty's third-set hitting percentage (.636) was its highest in a single set since .667 (12-0-18) in set two against Presbyterian on Nov. 4, 2016.
• Liberty hit .461 for the match, its third-highest single-match hitting percentage in the rally-scoring era and best since hitting .483 against Saint Francis (Pa.), Sept. 5, 2008.
• Gragg moved into seventh place in program history with 327 career blocks, passing Nicole Nice (1989-92) today.
• Goodwin's .688 hitting percentage is the fifth best individual single-match hitting percentage in the program's rally-scoring history and best since Loren Thomas hit .700 (15-1-20) at Georgetown on Sept. 18, 2012.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram