Cam Locklear had two hits, Wednesday.
The West Virginia Mountaineers defeated the Liberty Flames 7-0, Wednesday afternoon at Monongalia County Ballpark. Five Mountaineers pitchers combined to hold the Flames scoreless.
Shortstop Cam Locklear had two of Liberty's five hits in the contest.
Liberty drops to 10-7 on the season. West Virginia moves to 11-5.
Box Score Highlights Records: Liberty (10-7); West Virginia (11-5) Location: Morgantown, W.Va. (Monongalia County Stadium) Attendance: 974 WP: Tyler Strechay (2-1) | LP: Mason Hand (3-1)
Scoring Summary WVU – 2ND INNING – Zarbnisky singles, McIntosh scores, 1-0 WVU – 2ND INNING – Davis walks, McCormick scores, 2-0 WVU – 2ND INNING – Doanes flies out, Burns scores, 3-0 WVU – 5TH INNING – McCormick singles, Brophy and Ippoliti, 5-0 WVU – 8TH INNING – Zarbnisky flies out, McCormick scores, 6-0 WVU – 8TH INNING – Davis doubles, Klein scores, 7-0
Notable Numbers - The Mountaineers outhit the Flames, 8-5. Liberty committed two errors and West Virginia made one.
- Liberty starting pitcher Mason Hand gave up five runs on six hits over four innings in dropping his first contest of 2012. He struck out two and walked five.
- Mountaineers starting pitcher Tyler Strechay pitched 5 2/3 scoreless innings. He yielded two hits. He struck out three and walked four.
- West Virginia right fielder Austin Davis had a game-high three hits and two RBI.
Turning Point In the top of the third and trailing 3-0, the Flames loaded the bases with two outs against Strechay. Left fielder Gray Betts walked, third baseman Ben Highfill singled and right fielder Brandon Rohrer walked to fill the bases. However, Strechay induced a fly out to center field by second baseman Trey McDyre to end the scoring threat and the inning.
Beyond the Box Score - Liberty and West Virginia met for the first time since 2016, this afternoon. It was also the first ever meeting between the teams in Morgantown, W.Va.
- After starting the year 3-0 in midweek contests, the Flames have dropped their last two contests during the midweek.
- Locklear has six hits in his last nine at bats. The shortstop collected a career-high four in Sunday's win over Kent State. With today's contest, he now has four multi-hit games, this season.
- Flames reliever Troy Britt has not allowed a run in each of his last seven appearances (9 2/3 innings).
Up Next Liberty next travels to Columbus, Ohio for a three-game weekend series against the Ohio State Buckeyes. The series gets underway Friday at 5 p.m. at Bill Davis Stadium.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram