Brandon Rohrer heads to third base during Liberty's 7-2 win over Kent State on Saturday.
Flames right fielder Brandon Rohrer had three hits and drove in two runs, helping Liberty top the Kent State Golden Flashes 7-2, Saturday afternoon at Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium.
Gray Betts, Jaylen Guy and Ben Highfill added two hits each for the Flames in the victory.
Liberty moves to 9-6 on the year. The win snaps a two-game losing streak for the Flames. Kent State drops to 7-6 on the season.
Box Score Highlights Records: Kent State (7-6); Liberty (9-6) Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium) Attendance: 1,542 WP: Landon Riley (2-0) | LP: Collin Rommel (1-1)
Scoring Summary KENT ST – 2nd INNING – Ferguson homers, 1-0 LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Rohrer doubles, Wilkinson scores, 1-1 LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Guy doubles, Rohrer scores, 2-1 KENT ST – 6th INNING – Fielding error by shortstop, Ferguson scores, 2-2 LIBERTY – 6th INNING – Baughman singles, McDyre scores, 3-2 LIBERTY – 7th INNING – Highfill singles, Betts scores, 4-2 LIBERTY – 8th INNING – Rohrer singles, Wilson scores, 5-2 LIBERTY – 8th INNING – Betts singles, Rohrer scores, 6-2 LIBERTY – 8th INNING – Highfill flies out, Guy scores, 7-2
Notable Numbers - Liberty collected 11 hits and made one error in the contest. Kent State had seven hits and committed two errors.
- Liberty starting pitcher Noah Skirrow allowed two runs on five hits over 5 1/3-plus innings. He struck out six and walked three.
- Flames reliever Landon Riley picks up the victory to move to 2-0 on the year. The right-hander pitched 2 2/3 scoreless innings. He struck out two and did not walk a batter.
- Both of Guy's hits in the contest were doubles.
Turning Point With the score tied 2-2 in the bottom of the sixth inning, the Flames cashed in a leadoff walk to take the lead for good in the contest. Second baseman Trey McDyre drew a base on balls to open the home half of the inning and advanced to second base on a sacrifice bunt by catcher Brady Gulakowski. Two batters later, first baseman Drew Baughman ripped a single through the left side of the infield to plate McDyre for a 3-2 lead.
Beyond the Box Score - Liberty evens its three-game series with Kent State at 1-1. The Flashes won Friday afternoon's game 3-2.
- Riley has not allowed a hit or a run in each of his last five appearances.
- Rohrer posted his third multi-hit game and his first three-hit contest of the year.
- Highfill collects his team-leading sixth multi-hit game of 2020. The third baseman leads the Flames with 17 hits, 10 of which have been for extra bases.
- Guy recorded his fourth multi-hit game, while Betts picked up his second of the year in the contest.
Up Next Liberty and Kent State will wrap-up their series, tomorrow at Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium. First pitch is slated for 1 p.m.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram