Mason Hand was one of four pitchers to shut out Elon, Tuesday.
Four Liberty Flames pitchers combined to shut out the Elon Phoenix 3-0, Tuesday afternoon at Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium. The victory pushes Liberty's winning streak to seven games.
Mason Hand, Troy Britts, Mason Fluharty and Landon Riley did not allow a runner past second base in the contest, recording Liberty's first shutout of the season.
Liberty third baseman Ben Highfill had two hits, including a solo home run in the contest. Second baseman Trey McDyre and center fielder Jaylen Guy also collected two hits each for the Flames.
With the victory, Liberty moves to 8-4 on the year. Elon falls to 6-6.
Box Score Highlights Records: Elon (6-6); Liberty (8-4) Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium) Attendance: 1,261 WP: Mason Hand (3-0) | LP: Ian Evans (0-3) | SV: Landon Riley (4)
Scoring Summary LIBERTY – 2nd INNING – Wilkerson flies out, Rohrer scores, 1-0 LIBERTY – 2nd INNING – Guy singles, McDyre scores, 2-0 LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Highfill homers, 3-0
Notable Numbers - Liberty outhit Elon, 8-7. The Phoenix made two errors. The Flames committed one.
- Elon left nine men on base. Liberty left seven.
- Flames starting pitcher Mason Hand pitched 5 2/3 innings, scattering five hits. The right-hander struck out four batters and walked two.
- Britts followed Hand with 1 1/3 scoreless innings and Fluharty pitched a scoreless eighth.
- Landon Riley recorded his fourth save of the year, securing the final three outs of the contest by strike out.
- Highfill hits his third home run of the year and his second in as many games.
- No Elon hitter had more than one hit in the contest.
Turning Point With the Flames leading 3-0, two men on and two outs in the sixth inning, Liberty went to its bullpen for the first time in the contest. Troy Britts entered the contest and got Phoenix designated hitter Nick Cicci to fly out for the final out of the inning and preserve the shutout.
Beyond the Box Score - Liberty closes its first homestand of the season with an 8-1 mark.
- Last season, the Flames threw seven shutouts. All seven were combined blankings.
- Hand has won all three of his starts this season and has allowed only one run over 16 2/3 innings.
- Highfill collected his team-leading fifth multi-hit game of the year. Meanwhile, McDyre registers his fourth multi-hit contest and Guy his third.
- Guy is the only Flame to reach base in all 12 games, this season. He has at least one hit in each of the last six games.
Up Next Tomorrow, the Flames take to the road. Liberty will travel to Greenville, N.C. for a contest against the No. 22-ranked East Carolina Pirates. First pitch at Clark-LeClair Stadium is scheduled for 4 p.m.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram