Brandon Rohrer rounds the bases after hitting his first home run of the season, Friday.
Liberty rallied late in the contest but came up short, as the visiting Seton Hall Pirates edged the Flames 5-4, Friday afternoon at Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium.
Trailing 5-2, the Flames plated runs in the seventh and eighth innings to pull to within a run of the visiting Pirates. In the ninth, Liberty got the tying run on base with one out when left fielder Gray Betts walked, but was unable to advance him any further.
Liberty right fielder Brandon Rohrer had two hits, including a home run in the contest. He also drove in two runs and scored two runs.
The Flames fall to 1-4 on the year. The Pirates improve to 3-1.
Box Score Highlights Records: Seton Hall (3-1); Liberty (1-4) Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium) Attendance: 1,583 WP: Ryan McLinskey (1-0) | LP: Mason Meyer (0-2) | SV: Corey Sawyer (1) Scoring Summary SHU – 1st INNING – Dana singles, Shedler-McAvoy scores, 1-0 SHU – 3rd INNING – Toke singles, Huntzinger scores, 2-0 SHU – 4th INNING – Clyde reaches on error, Esposito scores, 3-0 LIBERTY – 4th INNING – Locklear grounds out, Highfill scores, 3-1 LIBERTY – 4th INNING – Rohrer homers, 3-2 SHU – 7th INNING – Grober singles, Toke scores, 4-2 SHU – 7th INNING – Hood singles, Dana scores, 5-2LIBERTY – 7th INNING – Betts grounds out, Rohrer scores, 5-3 LIBERTY – 8th INNING – Rohrer singles, Highfill scores, 5-4
Notable Numbers - Seton Hall collected 11 hits and did not commit an error in the contest. Liberty had seven hits and made two errors.
- Rohrer belted his first home run of the season in the fourth inning.
- Liberty third baseman Ben Highfill and first baseman Trey McDyre joined Rohrer with two hits each in the game. Highfill had a triple and scored twice.
- Pirates starting pitcher Ryan McLinskey held the Flames to two runs on three hits over the first 5 2/3 innings. He struck out eight and walked one in recording his first victory of the season.
- Seton Hall first baseman Matt Toke led all hitters in the contest with three hits. He also had a RBI and scored a run.
Turning Point Facing a 5-3 deficit in the eighth inning, Liberty attempted to erase its two-run deficit. With one out, Highfill singled, and two batters later, shortstop Cam Locklear lined a two-out single into left field. Rohrer followed with a single, plating Highfill to make it 5-4 and moving the tying run, Locklear, into scoring position at second base. However, Seton Hall reliever Shane Miller was able to induce a ground out from McDyre to end the inning and preserve the Pirates' advantage.
Beyond the Box Score - Liberty and Seton Hall met for the first time during the regular season on the diamond, this afternoon. The two teams had only previously met at the 2000 NCAA Columbia, S.C. Regional, where the Flames defeated the Pirates 10-3. The victory was Liberty's first-ever Division I NCAA tournament win.
- Rohrer's home run was his first since May 19, 2018 in a 5-1 win at Winthrop. The junior also posted his first multi-hit game of 2020 in the contest.
- Highfill recorded his second multi-hit game of the season and his second in as many games. He had two hits in Wednesday's win over Radford.
Up Next Liberty and Seton Hall will square off again tomorrow at Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium. First pitch is scheduled for 2 p.m.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram