Five Liberty Flames pitchers combined to blank the Richmond Spiders 7-0, Tuesday evening at Liberty Baseball Stadium.
Garret Price, Mason Meyer, Cole Garret, David Erickson and Landon Riley held the visiting Spiders to four hits in recoding the Flames' fifth shutout of the season.
Third baseman Tyler Galazin provided two RBI doubles and Ben Highfill, who entered the game as the designated hitter in the fifth inning, added two hits and two RBI for the Flames.
Winners of nine of its last 10 games, Liberty moves to 25-7 on the season. Richmond falls for the fourth straight game, dropping to 16-13-1. Box Score Highlights Records: Richmond (16-13-1); Liberty (25-7) Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Liberty Baseball Stadium) Attendance: 1,465 WP: Mason Meyer (5-2) | LP: Jacob Marcus (1-2)
Scoring Summary LIBERTY – 1st INNING – Galazin reaches on throwing error by second baseman, Embry scores, 1-0 LIBERTY – 6th INNING – Highfill bunt single, Locklear scores, 2-0 LIBERTY – 6th INNING – Galazin doubles, Highfill and Betts score, 4-0 LIBERTY – 6th INNING – Throwing error on center fielder, Embry scores, 5-0 LIBERTY – 7th INNING – Guy grounds out, Mathieu scores, 6-0 LIBERTY – 7th INNING – Highfill singles, Locklear scores, 7-0
Notable Numbers - Hits were at a premium in the contest. Liberty collected six, while Richmond had four.
- The Spiders committed three errors, while the Flames did not make one.
- Liberty pitchers combined to strike out 15 Spiders in the contest. Freshman right-hander David Erickson struck out a career-high five, while pitching the seventh and eighth innings.
- Meyer recorded his fifth win of the season. The left-hander gave up one hit over 1 1/3 innings as the second Liberty pitcher of the contest.
- Highfill recorded his first multi-hit game of 2019.
- Richmond right fielder Johnny Hipsman collected three of the Spiders' four hits in the contest.
Turning Point Leading 1-0 in the sixth, Liberty broke the game open with four runs in bottom of the inning. Highfill started the scoring burst with a bunt single with runners on second and third to give the Flames a 2-0 edge. Later in the inning, Galazin doubled with the bases loaded and two outs, plating two more runs. On the play, the throw back into the infield by Spiders center fielder Anthony Forte got loose, allowing catcher John Embry to score and extend Liberty's lead to a comfortable 5-0.
Beyond the Box Score - The Flames have won five straight home games and move to 18-2 at Liberty Baseball Stadium, this season.
- Head Coach Scott Jackson's team has won six consecutive midweek games and is now 7-1 in the midweek.
- Liberty recorded its fifth shutout of the season to lead the ASUN Conference. The five blankings are the most by the Flames in a year since 2015 when they pitched six.
- Liberty right-hander Garret Price made his first start of 2019 in the contest. The junior dropped his ERA to an ASUN-leading 1.04 by pitching 3 2/3 scoreless innings.
- Second baseman Will Wagner's hit streak ended at 11 games. The second baseman did walk in the game and now has reached base in 12 consecutive contests.
Up Next Liberty returns to ASUN Conference play, this weekend. The Flames will welcome the defending ASUN Champion Stetson Hatters to Liberty Baseball Stadium for a three-game series. Friday's series opener's first pitch is scheduled for 6 p.m.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram