The North Alabama Lions halted the Liberty Flames' season-high seven-game winning streak with a 6-3 victory, Saturday afternoon at Lane Field.
A two-out, three-run home run in the sixth inning by right fielder Kevin Brenning gave North Alabama a 5-3 advantage, as the Lions plated four runs in the frame.
The Flames tried to rally in the ninth, bringing the tying run to the plate to hit with two outs, but UNA pitcher Bryant Claunch was able to retire the next batter to close out the Lions' victory.
Liberty center fielder Jaylen Guy had two hits and scored a run in the contest.
Liberty falls to 6-2 in ASUN play and 23-7 overall. North Alabama improves to 2-6 in conference play and 7-23 overall.
Box Score Highlights Records: Liberty (23-7, 6-2 ASUN); North Alabama (7-23, 2-6 ASUN) Location: Florence, Ala. (Lane Field) Attendance: 306 WP: Bryant Claunch (2-1) | LP: Noah Skirrow (2-3)
Scoring Summary UNA – 3rd INNING – Sockwell singles, Mathis scores, 1-0 LIBERTY – 4th INNING – Embry hit by a pitch, Mathieu scores, 1-1 LIBERTY – 4th INNING – Wagner singles, Betts and Guy score, 3-1 UNA – 6th INNING – Kain flies out, Sockwell scores, 3-2 UNA – 6th INNING – Brenning homers, Chrestman and Homan score, 5-3 UNA – 8th INNING – Kiefer singles, Brenning scores, 6-3
Notable Numbers - North Alabama held an 8-7 edge in hits in the contest.
- The Flames committed three errors, including costly back-to-back miscues in the sixth inning. The Lions made one.
- Liberty left 14 men on base, while North Alabama left 12. The Flames left the bases loaded in the third inning, while the Lions left them full twice in the contest.
- Guy posts his third straight two-hit game. The freshman has collected eight multi-hit games this season. - Left fielder Gray Betts reached base in each of his four at bats. The freshman, who had four hits in last night's contest, had a hit, drew a base on balls and was hit by a pitch twice.
- Three of the four runs that Liberty starting pitcher Noah Skirrow allowed were unearned.
- UNA's Claunch entered the game with one out in the fourth inning and did not allow a run over the final 5 1/3 innings. He gave up five hits, striking out five and walking three.
- Brenning had two hits for Lions. His home run was the outfielder's second of the season.
Turning Point With the Flames leading 3-1 in the bottom of the sixth inning, consecutive errors by Liberty allowed the Lions to load the bases with nobody out. After North Alabama closed its deficit to one run with a sacrifice fly, it looked like the Flames may get out of the inning still in the lead. However, Brenning lined a 3-2 pitch over the right field fence to give the host Lions a 5-3 lead.
Beyond the Box Score - Right fielder Brandon Rohrer extended his career-high hit streak to 10 games. The outfielder has hit .429 during the span.
- Second baseman Will Wagner continued his current hit streak, running 10 games also. The second baseman had a 12-game hitting streak earlier this season.
- With eight strikeouts, Skirrow ups his season total to 61. The sophomore right-hander is second in the ASUN in the category.
- Brabrand gave up his first run of the season in the sixth inning. The redshirt senior had not allowed a run over his first 25 2/3 innings.
Up Next Liberty and North Alabama wrap up their series at Lane Stadium, tomorrow. First pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m. EST.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram