Three Flames pitchers held the Hokies in check, as Liberty eased past Virginia Tech 6-1, Tuesday afternoon at English Field at Union Park.
Mason Meyer, Garret Price and Landon Riley combined to hold the Hokies to one run on five hits. The trio struck out 10 and walked two.
Left fielder Brandon Rohrer led all hitters in the game with three hits, including a two-run single in the Flames' four-run fifth inning. Center fielder Jaylen Guy and first baseman Logan Mathieu added two hits each.
Liberty moves to 18-6 on the year. Virginia Tech falls to 16-9.
Box Score Highlights Records: Liberty (18-6); Virginia Tech (16-9) Location: Blacksburg, Va. (English Stadium at Union Park) Attendance: 683 WP: Mason Meyer (4-2) | LP: Luke Scherzer (2-3)
Scoring Summary LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Fielding error by second baseman, Locklear scores, 1-0 LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Guy scores on wild pitch, 2-0 LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Rohrer singles, Wagner and Embry score, 4-0 VT – 6th INNING – Owens grounds into double play, Taylor scores, 4-1 LIBERTY – 7th INNING – Mathieu singles, Wagner scores, 5-1 LIBERTY – 7th INNING – Galazin grounds out, Rohrer score 6-1
Notable Numbers - Liberty outhit Virginia Tech, 9-5. Each team committed two errors apiece in the contest.
- Liberty scored all four of its runs in the fourth inning with two outs.
- Meyer has won each of his last three starts. The left-hander pitched five innings, before leaving with runners on second and third in the sixth. Meyer gave up four hits and one run. He struck out eight and walked two.
- Price and Riley each pitched two scoreless innings of relief.
- Rohrer collects two or more hits in back-to-back contests and his first three-hit game of the year. The sophomore had two hits on Sunday.
Turning Point With runners on the corners and two men out in the fourth inning, a grounder to second base allowed the Flames to break up the scoreless contest. A grounder by right fielder Jonathan Embry was misplayed by Virginia Tech second baseman Jack Owens, allowing the Flames to take a 1-0 lead. Later in the inning, Rohrer singled to right, plating two more runs for a 4-0 advantage.
Beyond the Box Score - Liberty sweeps its season series with Virginia Tech. The Flames defeated the Hokies 5-4 at Liberty Baseball Stadium earlier this month (March 5).
- With the win, the Flames even their road record at 4-4 and move to 5-1 in midweek contests. All five victories have come against ACC teams.
- Rohrer has had a hit in each of his last four games and moves his batting average for the season over .300 to .324.
- Center fielder Jaylen Guy extended his hitting streak to five games.
Up Next The Flames return home for a three-game ASUN Conference series, starting Friday. Liberty will welcome the North Florida Ospreys to Liberty Baseball Stadium. Friday's first pitch is scheduled for 6 p.m.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram