The NJIT Highlanders plated four runs in the second inning and never looked back, topping the Liberty Flames 9-2, Saturday afternoon at Liberty Baseball Stadium.
Highlanders right-hander Tyler Stafflinger allowed two runs, scattering eight hits over six innings for the victory.
Catcher Jonathan Embry had three hits, two doubles and scored both of Liberty's runs.
Liberty drops to 1-1 in ASUN play and 16-6 overall. NJIT moves to 1-1 in the ASUN and 8-8-1 overall. With the win, the Highlanders even the three-game series at 1-1.
Box Score Highlights Records: NJIT (8-8-1, 1-1 ASUN); Liberty (16-6, 1-1 ASUN) Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Liberty Baseball Stadium) Attendance: 1,616 WP: Tyler Stafflinger (1-1) | LP: Noah Skirrow (1-2)
Scoring Summary LIBERTY – 1ST INNING – Mathieu singles, Embry scores, 1-0 NJIT – 2nd INNING – Donnelly doubles, Hussey scores, 1-1 NJIT – 2nd INNING – Brady scores on passed ball, 2-1 NJIT – 2nd INNING – Helmkamp flies out, Donnelly scores, 3-1 NJIT – 2nd INNING – Cocciadirerr files out, Marcano scores, 4-1 LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Wagner singles, Embry scores, 4-2 NJIT – 7th INNING – Marcano singles, Hussey and Anastasia score, 6-2 NJIT – 9th INNING – Donnelly doubles, Hussey scores, 7-2 NJIT – 9th INNING – Marcano singles, Donnelly and Brady score, 9-2
Notable Numbers - NJIT outhit Liberty, 14-9, in the contest. Each team committed an error.
- Embry collects his second three-hit game of the season. He also doubled twice in the contest.
- Seven Liberty pitchers combined to strike out 17 NJIT batters. Reliever Garret Price struck out six over 3 2/3 innings of relief, while Landon Riley struck all four batters he faced over 1 1/3 innings.
- Five Highlanders had two or more hits led by left fielder Julio Marcano who had three hits in the contest. He drove in four runs and also scored a run.
- Liberty was 2-for-11 with runners in scoring position, while NJIT was 4-for-16.
Turning Point Leading by two runs in the top of the seventh, the first three NJIT batters reached to load the bases. After a Liberty pitching change, the Flames retired the next two batters, before Marcano lined a single through the right side of the infielder, scoring two runners and extending the Highlanders advantage to 6-2.
Beyond the Box Score -Embry has at least one hit in each of his last nine games and has reached base in each of his last 17 games. The Flames catcher has also collected at least on extra base hit in six out of his last seven games.
- Price appeared in his 10th game on Saturday. He leads the Flames in appearances.
- Liberty falls at Liberty Baseball Stadium for only the second time in 2019, dropping to 13-2.
- The Flames with wrap-up their longest homestand of the season, tomorrow. Liberty has posted a 5-2 mark on the homestand so far.
Up Next Liberty and NJIT will wrap-up their three-game ASUN Conference series, tomorrow at Liberty Baseball Stadium. First pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram