The Hofstra Pride built a 6-1 lead, before holding off a late Liberty charge for a 10-5 victory over the Flames, Sunday at Liberty Baseball Stadium.
The Pride's victory snaps a four-game winning streak for the Flames, who entered the contest unbeaten at home.
Trailing by four runs in the bottom of the eighth, Liberty rallied to close within one run at 6-5, but the Pride pulled away in ninth to secure the victory.
Liberty falls to 14-5 on the year. Hofstra moves to 3-11, halting a six-game losing skid.
Box Score Highlights Records: Hofstra (3-11); Liberty (14-5) Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Liberty Baseball Stadium) Attendance: 1,216 WP: Jack Anderson (1-0) | LP: Joseph Adametz (2-1) | SV: Andrew Munday (2)
Scoring Summary HOFSTRA – 1st INNING – Weissheier tripled, Friscia scores, 1-0 HOFSTRA – 1st INNING – Quinn singles, Weissheier scores, 2-0 HOFSTRA – 3rd INNING – Weissheier singles, Friscia scores, 3-0 HOFSTRA – 3rd INNING – O'Connor singles, Weissheier scores, 4-0 LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Mathieu scores on a wild pitch, 4-1 HOFSTRA – 7th INNING – Friscia flies out, Costello scores, 5-1 HOFSTRA – 8th INNING – Page singles, O'Connor scores, 6-1 LIBERTY – 8th INNING – Embry scores on a balk, 6-2 LIBERTY – 8th INNING – Galazin scores on a balk, 6-3 LIBERTY – 8th INNING – Locklear singles, Rohrer scores, 6-4 LIBERTY – 8th INNING – Baughman walked, Mathieu scores, 6-5 HOFSTRA – 9th INNING – O'Connor doubles, Weissheier and Friscia score, 8-5 HOFSTRA – 9th INNING – Mensah singles, O'Connor and Rausch score, 10-5
Notable Numbers - Hofstra outhit Liberty, 13-6. The Pride committed one error, while the Flames made one.
- Liberty right-fielder Jonathan Embry had two hits, including his sixth double of the season and scored a run. He has doubled and scored at least one run in each of his four games.
- Flames center fielder Jaylen Guy also had two hits.
- Hofstra first baseman Rob Weissheier and catcher Vito Friscia each scored three times in the contest.
Turning Point Having their lead cut to one in the bottom of the eighth, Hofstra responded with four runs in the top of the ninth to extended its advantage to 10-5. Right fielder Kevin O'Connor provided the big hit in the frame, doubling home two runs with one out.
Beyond the Box Score - Liberty entered the contest unbeaten at Liberty Baseball Stadium with an 11-0 mark.
- The Flames took the first two games of the series and take the three-game set, two games to one.
- First baseman Logan Mathieu doubled in the contest. The sophomore has reached base in all 18 games he has played in this season. This week, he hit .636 with five RBI. Five of his seven hits were extra base hits.
- Embry has at least one hit in each of his last six games. The redshirt junior has also reached base in each of his last 14 games.
Up Next The Flames will host the North Carolina Tar Heels, Tuesday at Liberty Baseball Stadium. The Tar Heels began the weekend ranked as high as No. 8 in the nation. First pitch is scheduled for 3:30 p.m.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram