Garret Price picks up his third win of the year, Saturday.
Third baseman Tyler Galazin's single over a drawn-in infield in the eighth inning plated the game's only run, allowing the Liberty Flames to slip past the Hofstra Pride 1-0, Saturday afternoon at Liberty Baseball Stadium.
With the contest scoreless in the bottom of the eighth, right-fielder Jonathan Embry opened the inning with a ground-rule double and advanced to third on a fly out. Galazin followed by looping a single over the top of the Pride's drawn-in infield to break the scoreless tie and give Liberty the lead. Evan Brabrand pitched a 1-2-3 ninth to close out the Liberty win.
The Flames' pitchers Noah Skirrow and Garret Price matched Pride pitchers Ryan Rue and Andrew Mundy through the first 7 2/3 innings, holding their opponents scoreless.
Liberty improves to 14-4 on the season. The Flames have won three straight and 13 out of their last 15 games. Hofstra falls to 2-11. The Pride has lost six in a row.
Box Score Highlights Records: Hofstra (2-11); Liberty (14-4) Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Liberty Baseball Stadium) Attendance: 1,229 WP: Garret Price (4-0) | LP: Andrew Munday (0-1) | SV: Evan Brabrand (5)
Scoring Summary LIBERTY – 8th INNING – Galazin singles, Embry scores, 1-0
Notable Numbers - Each team had six hits and did not commit an error in the contest.
- Hofstra left 14 men on base, including leaving the bases loaded in the third and the sixth. Liberty left seven.
- Liberty starter Noah Skirrow allowed three hits, striking out seven and walking six over five-plus innings of work. All seven of his strikeouts came in a row from the first through the third.
- Hofstra starter Ryan Rue held the Flames to three hits over six innings. He struck out three and walked one.
- Liberty designated hitter Drew Baughman and Hofstra right fielder Sean Rausch each had two hits in the contest.
- Embry has doubled and scored at least one run in each of his last three games. The redshirt junior has scored a team-high 18 runs.
Turning Point With the game scoreless in the bottom of the eighth, Embry led off the inning with a ground-rule double. The right-fielder then moved to third on a fly out to center field by second baseman Will Wagner, causing Pride to bring its infield in.
Beyond the Box Score
- Liberty remains unbeaten at Liberty Baseball Stadium, running its record to 11-0 in 2019.
- With the victory, the Flames take the three-game weekend series. Liberty won the series opener 9-1, Friday.
- Price made his team-leading ninth appearance of the season, Saturday.
- Brabrand has not allowed a run over 16 innings of relief.
- Second baseman Will Wagner saw his hitting streak come to an end at team-high 12 games.
Up Next Liberty and Hofstra will finish their three-game series, tomorrow at Liberty Baseball Stadium. First pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram